Mitt Romney, Chinese-American diplomatic expert

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 3, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is one of those things that just makes you roll your eyes and go, "Really?"

On the one hand, it shows the sense of desperation that is settling in for Romney's campaign. Jobs numbers looking better, foreign policy doing well,...gotta come up with something, gotta come up with something...

On the other hand, it does tell us (along with the Romney OBL ads) that we can look forward to six months of complete b*******, pathetic attempts to take Obama's strengths and turn them into weaknesses.

Gonna be a fun 6 months.

Really.

2. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

The GOP is surely working on some swift boating schemes.

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

4. citizenzen Suspended

It's a bad time to ask opinions.

Whatever the president does, it will be spun negatively. It has to be.

It's probably always been this way, but presidential elections sure seem to bring the stupid out of everybody.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I find the "Obama can do no wrong," apologists on this forum to be as intellectually dishonest as they come. How can you guys even type the crap that you profess to believe? Truly amazing.

The administration screwed up this case. Big time.

It was not politically convenient to have this issue come up while Clinton was trying to negotiate advances with Beijing - a purely political move in an election year that needed no real deliverables, just sound bites.

The administration cut him loose. It backfired. They spin it now the best they can.

It's that simple.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They should have shipped him out in a diplomatic "pouch". :rolleyes:

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Ironic considering that you've criticized the president at every opportunity possible.

How do you figure? A deal is nearly set that will allow Chen to come to the United States under a student visa, allowing him to leave the country while protecting the Sino-American relationship.

At worst, allowing Chen to leave the embassy is risky because Chen may not be allowed to leave, but such a move is the kind of deal-making that the US needs to do. Grandstanding isn't what's needed.

Actually, it's not and as usual you're so quick to find fault with the administration that you can't even evaluate a complex situation. If Chen comes to the United States under a student visa, does your criticism remain valid?

8. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

What are you talking about? Chen left because his family was being threatened. Instead of taking actions that would have endangered both Chen's family as well as international relations, a mutually agreeable solution was found and he is on his way to the US. Problem solved without belligerence and war making.

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I personally think Obama has done a very good job as President, and will defend many of his choices because I agree with him. That being said, I don't know of anyone here who defends everything he does. Compare and contrast that to the right-wing loons who refuse to agree with things he does that they agree with. Those same loons try to criticize him for things they have done themselves.

I respect policy differences, but this is just silly. In Asian culture, there is something called saving face. If the US had taken this guy and granted him asylum, his family would have suffered the consequences of embarrassing a world power. By doing things the way they have, this guy gets his freedom, his family isn't killed, and China can save face.

This is chess, not checkers. That's why you don't elect a guy who can't put a sentence together. I would have preferred GWB used teleprompters and gotten it right, than wing it, and put my son at risk of a future war.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No, no- you don't understand. We should have threatened China with war! That's the GOP way, dontcha know.

11. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Oh yeah, I forgot about the "my way or else" policy that has worked for the GOP so well in all things.

I'll never understand the mentality of people like thewitt.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course. The president did it the way only a limp-wristed pansy would. We should be bombing the crap out of China over this right now! :rolleyes:

13. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Think of how it would benefit the economy!

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Even if all of that were true, NO administration is perfect and ALL of them screw up something at one time or another in their term. It's just a fact of life. They are humans (although they seem like aliens at times) and humans make mistakes.

When you find a perfect person and a perfect administration, let me know.