Mitt Romney in 2016...mixed reactions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jan 20, 2015.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

2. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

I cringe to think about the two party candidates coming in 2016:

Christie
    Clinton
    Cruz
    Romney
    Bush

Shoot me now. It keeps getting worse.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Already lost once.

I think he's an excellent choice.

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

They get in by high profile name and courting the center and exactly why Cruz wouldn't be on the list.

Bush has the name and many may just vote for that. Romney is a known asset in the GOP and he will rely on that if he runs. Christie is considered the front runner and has an image of being bi-partisan so he could capture many independents. Clinton is like Bush again and will possibly get the nomination based on her name alone. All of those have worked their image with the media to consider them viable.

Only a non-news organization like propaganda laden FOX will talk about a Cruz, Huckabee, or Paul as viable candidates and will push them until the predictable moderate like a Bush or Christie wins the GOP nomination and then suddenly become the spokesperson for them. If challenged, FOX will say they always backed that person.

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

no kidding, going to write in Mickey Mouse.

6. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Doesn't matter how they get in. They are all horrible candidates. Neither party has a single, decent possible candidate for 2016.

----------

Best we can hope for is another 4 years of a divided government. When neither party can pass garbage, we all win.

7. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Why is Christie considered the front runner? What I've read indicates Bush is now the front runner and Romney rumors are putting him even in front of Bush if he decides to run again.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

With the number of establishment candidates being floated out there this time I think there is a decent chance that they all split the vote among each other and allow a tea party candidate to come out on top. Similar to how the tea party candidates split the vote last time around and allowed Romney to get the nomination.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Anyone see clips of Romney's recent speech about income inequality and helping the poor? Was a good speech but his face told you he doesn't believe a word of it. Was good for a few laughs.

10. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Christie may fall behind and maybe like suggested all the GOP heavyweights (no pun intended) will cancel each other out and a very weak candidate like a Cruz or Paul can get the nomination. The dems certainly want something like that to happen.

I think the democrats are most scared of somebody like Bush, Romney, or Christie because they can get so many independents and carry borderline states like Florida (who may like Bush), Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Maine, Colorado, and even New Jersey (for Christie).

I can't stand the GOP but a good strategy would be to get a household GOP name for president and have the VP come from Ohio or Florida. If the GOP can carry the central midwest and the deep south, then tying on Florida and/or Ohio can possibly net a win. If those two seem too blue, then a VP candidate from Virginia or North Carolina can be a way to hold the GOP line. Even with their best efforts, Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida are big question marks for the GOP.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Romney is not a conservative. He's closer to Obama than Reagan. He stumbles when he tries to wear the conservative hat, but is far more comfortable as a centrist.

12. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Christie is not a conservative either. He should probably change parties to be honest, because he isn't event a moderate republican.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The Democrats already selected Hillary with a Halliburton-style no-bid contract. At least the GOP will have a raucous, entertaining primary season with clowns like Huckleberry and Santorum (Is Frothy) providing plenty of laughs.

14. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Christie is moderate, others are conservative, and some are just plain nutjobs. The nutjobs who have come up some in recent years have made Christie appear to be a liberal democrat by comparison, that's all.:eek:

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To play devil's advocate, you can't write off someone because they lost once.

Case in point: Grover Cleveland. He won, got booted out after 4 years, then won POTUS again 4 years later.

Not that I believe Romney will have a chance, but history does tell a lot about wins/losses.

BL.

16. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Then I can't wait for president Hillary (extreme sarcasm). She will win simply because America doesn't remember when a lot of people voted on hope, change, and the first black president and received a whole lot of nothing.

They will vote for the first woman, and you can expect another 4 years of ********. Ugh i shudder at the thought of her being president. She was very forgettable in her previous political rolls. Just basically riding her husband's name much like Monica rode her husband. Zing!

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I was wondering what a look back through history would reveal. I suspect there's more a history of repeated failures than comeback success. But as I was writing this reply I thought of another, more recent example: Richard Nixon.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The Democrats don't have enough lipstick to disguise their Wall Street-bought-and-paid-for corporatist 1%er, but they will certainly try.

19. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Ronald Reagan ran in 1968 without success, toyed with 1972, and made another serious run in 1976. It was 1980 that would be his bid for the nomination that got it. He won the election and then again in 1984.

Al Gore ran for president in 1988 but failed, but got on the successful ticket of 1992, was on ticket winning again in 1996, and then ran for president again in 2000.

Abe Lincoln won here and there but also lost multiple times. As to how many times he lost or how badly, we don't know the true extent in context, but Snopes lays out a pretty interesting history lesson about failure and success:

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/lincoln.asp

All that being said, Romney getting the nomination in 2016 would not be unheard of.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So no governance between 2010 and at least 2020. At some point the wagon wheels will fall off.

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

How so? Please cite examples of any of his actions that appear liberal to you.

22. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

I would rather Lucifer, himself, as president. I will vote Independent this year.

Edit: Or next.. you know whenever the election happens. :D

23. zin macrumors 6502

I get a weird vibe from Romney. He's not like "the rest" of the Republicans. I disagree with his views but I always thought it seemed like he was cast away from the rest of the party.

He seems like a pretty OK guy. Shame his political positions on some things flip-flop a lot.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Maybe it's the vibrations from his magic underwear.

Romney doesn't have a chance in hell of being elected and I can't believe (well, yes I can) the GOP would nominate this shape-shifting douche.

Some said "Romney has been too rich for too long" and that pretty much sums it up, IMO. He has nothing to offer the Middle Class.

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That is a pretty narrow space to fit into. I do not think you could be between those two without being in full contact with both of them, assuming you could squeeze in there.