Mitt Romney says "Raise the minimum wage"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zioxide, May 9, 2014.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/05/09/romney-on-minimum-wage-we-out-to-raise-it/?hpt=hp_t2

So, former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney says he agrees with Democrats that the minimum wage needs to be raised in order to help boost the economy. Less than two years ago, this guy was America's savior according to the GOP, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will some Republicans reevaluate their positions and start supporting wage increases, or will they just try to brush him off and attack him for his support of wanting to provide Americans better wages?

Thoughts?

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Question is, how bad do you want to shout him down on this for being a republican?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because everything has to be partisan right?

:rolleyes:

4. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

I fail to see how raising the min wage and in return paying more for things in the store will change anything.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The math on that won't work out in your favor, just a heads up. I'm not going to take the time to break it down for you, but you can bet someone here will.

6. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

How much do you want to pay for your burger?

The math works out fine. If it costs more to produce, then it will cost more to buy. That's about as simple as I can make it for you. If that's not simple enough...well....:confused:

7. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I thought bills needed 51 votes, not 60.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I give it until 1pm ET for some to call him a RINO.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Yeah, they calculated that doubling everybody's pay at McDonald's would add around 30 cents or so to the Big Mac and about everything else.

So terrible.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I read an article yesterday, for the life of me can't find it, but McDonalds employees (not manager) make on average $21 an hour in Denmark, but a Big Mac in Denmark costs less than a dollar more than the US.

I'll pay under a dollar more of a Big Mac if it means the employees get a decent wage.

11. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

I would have to see your source for that claim and determine if it takes into account the entire product chain.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

'Obamacare' was modeled after 'Romneycare' he showed down MA residents.

He also pushed out a sport rifle ban.

He tows the Democrat political line through and through.

13. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

My mistake, I found my source. I was wrong about the amount by a large margin and I will edit my previous post. It was less than a dollar, though, and that was also raising the salary of the CEO and everybody else.

Roughly 17% per item increase in price.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/07/30/2378861/mcdonalds-wages-doubled/

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Now I'm confused. Mittens told us he was a "severe"Conservative when running. Doesn't mesh with his RINO position on the minimum wage. Or maybe he's complicated like someone else we know.

15. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

How does this make any sense whatsoever? I don't like Romney. Never did. He was a terrible governor here. But he's right on this matter.

Walmart could pay every single one of their employees a living wage (around $13.50 per hour which would be about $3 higher than the proposed minimum wage increase) and pass the entire cost onto the consumer and prices would only rise 1.4%. So, that box of mac and cheese would cost 69 cents instead of 68 cents. A $200 TV would cost $202.80. That hardly breaks the bank.

On top of this, we'd save the US taxpayers something like $300 million dollars a year in welfare and food stamps since these programs would no longer have to subsidize Walmart's low-wage workforce.

Romney liked to think he could take credit for MA's health care law because it was passed while he was the governor. In reality, he was against many parts of it, and the Democratic supermajority in MA's congress overrode 8 of his veto's on parts of the law within 3 months of it being passed.

16. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm in favor of bi-partisan approaches to improving things. Mitt can be very obtuse, but he was never the ideal candidate for the super-right.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Partisanship is the worst thing in US politics.

19. G51989, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

So, your more concerned with the dollar Menu at McDonalds than the horrible problems with poverty America has?

And you also realize, you pay for those low wages, your tax money is used to pay for SNAP, Welfare, and assisted housing costs and cash benefits for the low wage workers who otherwise wouldn't be able to put a roof over their head.

20. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

He wants to help workers/the economy and be President! He could really believe the former is a good thing or use it as a gimmick, hard to say for sure.

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

It isn't just Romney

Rick Santorum;

Tim Pawlenty

22. samiwas macrumors 65816

If you think that prices would rise the equal amount that the cost of labor rises, then it would be impossible for us to make it simple enough for you.

If a person's wages go up 50%, but their expenses go up 5%, is that a bad thing economically?

How much of a "product chain" do you think there is at Wal-Mart or McDonald's?

23. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yes! Because he might have to pay 1.35 for his McChicken rather than 1.00! How would he never make ends meet?

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    This makes me think we should hold elections more often. Politicians show more willingness to kiss up to the constituency when their jobs are on the line.

25. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Well, although the min wage workers that still have their jobs would benefit, the guy that made $12 an hour all along will see his expenses increase by 5% and his wages increase by 0%. There'd be a transfer of wealth.