Mitt Romney's tax retruns being held ransom

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by P-Worm, Sep 6, 2012.

1. P-Worm, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

$1 Million to protect or release tax returns

Didn't see this posted yet. I would love for these things to get released.

P-Worm

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They're not going to be released. The writing is on the wall, Romnet can't win. Expect him and Ryan to get nastier and nastier over the next 60 or so days.

3. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

From what I gather, a 3rd party has a hold of them. They are the ones that are willing to release them.

P-Worm

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If they had his returns they would not be asking for ransom money.That's not how they roll.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

6. q64ceo macrumors regular

Anon is not really known for holding **** for ransom. Someone is lying.

7. malman89 macrumors 68000

Who's "they"? Not any part specified anywhere.

If I was the thieving type, I'd totally auction them off to the highest bidder. Release it for free? No thanks.

8. Peace, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I gather you're not familiar with the real hacking community.

If you want to study up on their history please visit 2600.com or

Cult Of The Dead Cow.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    If the story was true I don't think it would be public news yet. Not that I wouldn't like to see the returns under these circumstances, as we definitely won't be seeing them voluntarily.

10. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

The writing is on the wall??

Interesting... I just saw a Rassmussen poll showing Romney beating Obama. Even HuffPo has them in a dead heat...

And really, can they (Romney/Ryan) get any nastier than Obama's campaign? Before you answer, let me remind you about the ad that basically tied Romney to a death of a woman.

11. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I wasn't aware it was Anonymous that is doing this, all the articles I've read about it reference an anonymously authored letter demanding the money. Not the same thing! Anonymously authored letter =/= Anonymous.

My guess is its Carl Rove trying to make people feel sympathy for Romney. Just a guess.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Rasmussen is infamous for leaning toward Republicans. I don't know what their methodology is, but it often doesn't agree with the other polls.

And Obama's campaign didn't make that commercial.

13. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

What about HuffPo? Do they lean right?

My point was, every poll that I've seen has them basically in a dead heat. So for someone to say that the 'writing is on the wall' that Romney can't win is a bit premature.

The campaign didn't make it, you're right. Obama's PAC did. (Six in one, half a dozen in the other, right?) Of course, Ms. Cutter, of the campaign, and others within the campaign denied all knowledge of Mr. Soptic's story...

Too bad Ms. Cutter lead a call with reporters where Soptic told the story a few months earlier.

And, let's not forget that Mr. Soptic was also featured in an Obama video... coincidence? Maybe, I suppose.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

National polls are meaningless. Our elections are decided by a handful of so-caleld swing states. Nate Silver seems to see it as I do.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm sure you know that campaigns are not allowed to coordinate with PACs. Some campaigns appear to try to get around that, but we don't know that Obama's campaign did. It's a compelling story, and it's entirely possible that the PAC heard it and took off with it on its own. I don't know where you heard that Ms. Cutter denied even knowing of Soptic.

No, Huffpo doesn't lean right...so I don't even know what kind of point you're trying to make with that. By your own admission it's consistent with the rest of the polls. And the rest show that Rasmussen is inconsistent with them.

And the idea that Romney doesn't have a chance...well, I wouldn't go that far, but it's looking more and more like Obama's got a better chance. While within the statistical margins, Obama keeps leading in most swing states. Romney got almost no post-convention bump. The DNC appears to have put on the better convention, and its base looked to media observers to be more charged-up. And now Obama's going to get a post-convention bump. Everything else the same, I like Obama's chances, albeit by a slim margin.

Romney's in trouble. Nothing they've tried -- from the convention to the welfare-to-work lies to the choice of Ryan as VP -- has helped Romney gain ground. He's in trouble and he knows it.

16. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

First off, I said that Ms. Cutter denied knowing Soptic's story - which she did: Stephanie Cutter said on CNN: “I don’t know the facts about when Mr. Soptic’s wife got sick or the facts about his health insurance.” The problem, of course, is that just a few months prior to the TV ad, she hosted a call with reporters in which Soptic told the very same story in the ad.

What? Someone said that Romney was pretty much dead-in-the-water. I pointed to two polls, one had him winning, and the other had the two in a dead heat. You claimed that the Rassumssen poll leans right. Fine. The HuffPo, doesn't, and they had them tied, so my point is that Romney isn't really DOA, yet.

Sure, he might get a bump, but the election is still two months away. A lot can happen to either candidate's chances. As far as the media observers thinking the DNC was more more charged-up... of course they did. I didn't expect anything else.

Ahh... yes. the Welfare to work ads that pretty much everyone cited as false. Too bad those people won't let the truth get in their way:

Robert Rector, who helped WRITE the bill, and Douglas Besharov, who advised Hillary back in 1996, say Romney’s ad is accurate in that it removes the "work" requirement.

Now, the ad is very-very over simplified. But the truth is, the waivers removes the "work" requirement. Here's the nitty gritty, forgive me in advance for my rambling:

In section 407 of TANF, Congress put in language stating that states reduce or terminate payments to individuals who refuse to work without good cause. They, (Congress) also defined what "work" was.

The new waivers from the Obama administration basically tells states to ignore the definition of "work" by redefining what "work" is... like career pathing, and job training.

So, in the end, Obama is right, his new waiver policy is putting more people to work - because the definition of "work" is much broader. Let's just hope it doesn't get back to the way it was back in 2005 when states were accepting the following as "working": "bed rest," "personal journaling," "motivational reading," "exercise at home," "smoking cessation," "weight loss," and "helping a friend or relative with household tasks and errands".

17. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I don't think they really have them. Someone would have paid $1M by now.

Price claims they reviewed their systems with the FBI and didn't detect access. If the tax documents don't show up now, then they probably won't show up until days before the election (if they really have been stolen). That would be a good way to pull a fast one.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

This sounds exactly like one of Lee Atwater's tricks. Maybe he didn't really die and has just been hiding out somewhere.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, if the story is true, then the the blackmailers are engaging in free-enterprise so Romney shouldn't object.

[FWIW - you just know there is something juicy in Romeny's returns or he would have released them by now just to avoid the distraction. I bet he weaseled out of paying a lot of taxes, albeit legally.]

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Read their statement better.

$1 million to release them or $1 million NOT to release them. If thats not done they will be released on the 28th.

So we will see what happens on the 28th.

21. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

So even if they don't release them on the 28th (if they don't have them to begin with), they can claim someone paid them not to release them. :p

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Exactly. Which is why I don't think they have them.

Other than asking for a ransom.

23. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Read my first sentence. I don't think they have them. jeez.

24. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

larry Flint

Well if they have them heres their opportunity....

http://www.adweek.com/news/press/larry-flynt-offers-1m-reward-mitt-romney-tax-returns-143474

25. Technarchy, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

FYI: Obama Approval Below 50% in 37 States

The 50% approval mark is significant because post-World War II incumbent presidents who have been above 50% job approval on Election Day were easily re-elected. Presidents with approval ratings below 50% have more uncertain re-election prospects. Historically, two presidents below 50% in their final approval rating before the election -- George W. Bush and Harry Truman -- won, and three, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and George H.W. Bush, lost.

That's not partisan nonsense, but a statistical fact.