Mixed family pictures in the photos app after iOS 8 update

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by zhenya, Sep 22, 2014.

1. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

This is perhaps somewhat related to the other threads about the changes to the photos app in iOS8, but I'm not understanding what's going on here, so would appreciate some clarification.

Since updating our devices to iOS8 all of the pictures on my wife's phone have been mixed with mine and vice-versa. We share an iTunes account for purchases, but do not share iCloud accounts, and I can verify that I logged us both into our respective iCloud accounts on each device. Even the Recently Added tab is a mixture of both of our photos.

This is a MESS. I take tons of work pictures, as does she, that have no business being mixed between the two accounts. Can anyone help me understand what is going on here?

2. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

3. zhenya thread starter macrumors 603

zhenya

There is an empty folder called Family in the Shared tab which is what I think they are referring to. I think you have to manually add photos there - it's just a shared space where anyone in your family group can add and view photos - but adding photos to it is all manual (they show up on everyone's device once added though). That makes sense.

This is different. In my case, both the Recently Added and Photos view are not specific to either my wife or I - EVERY photo that we have both taken shows up in those locations on BOTH devices. This would make sense if we were sharing an iCloud account, but we are not.

4. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Do new photos get automatically added to the others phone? Or is just existing ones that seemed to duplicate?

5. zhenya thread starter macrumors 603

zhenya

As far as I can tell, everything we take on either device automatically appears on the other device. I'll have to test this later to make sure, but certainly I have plenty of photos from my wife's phone taken in the last couple of days visible on mine.

6. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

This should only occur if you are both using he same iCloud account.

Otherwise, go into settings, iCloud, photos, and turn off all options there. Then turn them back on.

7. zhenya thread starter macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah, when I turn off Photostream my wife's photos disappear. They come back when I turn it back on. I know that I signed her into her own iCloud account when I updated her phone - as I don't even know her password and handed her phone to her during that step.

I'll have to take a closer look on her phone tonight to see if something is screwed up there.