Mizzou Protests Lead to Plunge In Freshmen, Massive Budget Deficits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cfedu, Mar 12, 2016.

1. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

This is another example of the touch of death from the regressive left.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ge-in-freshmen-massive-budget-deficits-030916
    http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7370

2. 1458279 Suspended

I'm sure they'll blame it on someone else. Let them turn it into Detroit or Baltimore, the rest of the world doesn't need them.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Between this and Trump, what we could be seeing is a push not from the left or right, but one from the moderates on both sides of aisle.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Ah, Twice have chickens come home to roost.

First, that the student body is surprisingly more radical than are the professors, and leading to a knuckle-headed Lefty college president self-flaggelating prior to his own expulsion.

Second, this latest report that the Leftist student body high jinx might very well lead to the implosion and extinction of the college.

Tell me this is not as absurd as some of the best of Monty Python.

Apparently few want to send their kids to a college where they'll be rousted up from the study table in Library and pinned to the wall by an obnoxious and screaming Black Lives Matter loser, in a college scenario where anarchy reins, and now in the manner the Leftist rabble bring it to a peaceful Trump rally. Destructive. Simply destructive.

5. Eraserhead, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think the issue is that no one wants to go to college where there have been widespread protests...

Really the issue for the college administration is why they didn't nip it in the bud?

EDIT: I do agree that the students have been overly sensitive - but the customer is always right.

6. 1458279 Suspended

They can't. The people were raised this way and aren't going to change. Let the college fail, it's just an over priced economic failure. People can learn online, no need to even have colleges anymore, they're a relic of the past, time to move on.. online that is.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I await our shut-in society with baited breath.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Except that in most universities there aren't anywhere near as many issues with students...

9. 1458279 Suspended

Give it time. They are still relics from the past. Overpriced and ineffective.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

Author Joy Pullman wrote: Seinfeld is by no means the only one who’s figured out that college for most kids is six years of costly grievance training that makes young people worse for society than they were before they entered.

11. 1458279 Suspended

Many famous comics don't even bother with colleges any more.

They banned many famous public people from colleges. The young people have been led down a different path. They expect everything to be free and don't understand how this nation was built.

This is part of a long term plan to fundamentally change America. ... And it's working. Soon America will look nothing like it did in the past.

12. 617aircav Suspended

The fact that college kids are getting hurt by words is amazing. Let's realize that it's the noisy minority we are hearing from.

13. 1458279 Suspended

I remember seeing the news when I was that age and seeing people my age dressed up in grunge or punk rock, yet nobody I worked with or knew, actually dressed like that.
    We had a different media back then, now they have to be outrageous in order to get the clicks. However, there's no doubt that we have a failing education system and we are seeing the results of that.

These young people will face problems they have no solution for.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You reap what you sow. The college has no one to blame but itself.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

Online is fine for some things like arguing with strangers over whose presidential candidate has a bigger dick, but I wouldn't want my college education to come solely from a computer. I'd want to actually interact with people and teachers in person.

16. FieldingMellish Suspended

Agreed. A better experience and a human and emotional experience, especially when people get cacooned with their devices as it is.

17. 1458279 Suspended

I've done both and the reality is that you can learn better at home. Most of the time, you go to the class to set a pace, then go read the book. At home, you have to be self motivated and if you aren't self motivated, maybe you should think about a different field of study.

However, you could make a blend. You could have a free discussion group, I've belonged to many programmer groups. The colleges have used economics to extract as much money as they can from people. It's bad for several reasons, including debt for young people. There's no reason for them to charge what they charge. The books could be free using eBooks. The lectures could be videos and then free discussion groups etc...

They clearly over sell college. It's not for everyone and they act as if it's the one thing you need to get ahead and they have control over that one thing. What they don't tell you is that getting ahead is more about you and knowledge than a paper that says you have knowledge. They compare HS vs college but the real compare is the person that could complete college vs the one that did. Those examples include some of the richest people the world has ever known.

18. FieldingMellish Suspended

There's truth to that as well. I got self taught in HTML, Adobe apps, relational database design, photography, and others online and with books entirely alone. Well, not entirely. There are forums.

19. samiwas macrumors 65816

Well, this we all know. Changing one word in a book and making it a new edition that is required, etc. That's essentially American Capitalism at work, in an educational setting. As is raising prices just because the money is available.

Online is fine for some stuff, and there could certainly be a mix. But changing all schooling to online is a terrible idea.

Indeed, but the truth of the matter is that many employers won't even consider someone without a degree, even for very basic entry-level jobs. My wife found this out the hard way. She left an expensive college to go straight to work instead. She had to stop working after we had our son, and can't go back into the same line of work. A couple of years ago, she applied for dozens of jobs. Simple stuff. Not quite like fast food or being a janitor, but nothing that required specific education. She couldn't even get an interview anywhere because she never met the qualifications which almost always included a degree or years of experience, even for answering phones. It's the sad truth, but many places simply won't consider someone without a degree, even if they're shutting out highly-intelligent people.

20. 1458279 Suspended

This is an issue of supply and demand. All they have to do is take the test to prove they have the knowledge. A college test could be had for < $100. Microsoft used to do this with their developer series. You buy the book, you take the test. If you needed a class, you can go somewhere and take the class.

If businesses don't hire you, start your own business. There's a million reasons not to change. We rejected the horseless carriage until we didn't, we rejected digital pictures until we didn't, we rejected computers until we didn't. Forcing people to pay extreme prices to sit in a room and listen to a teacher is a joke. A video camera make that worthless. It's a con game and until someone stands up to the con, it'll continue.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2016 ---
    Think about how much money you saved. If you are honest with yourself, you can pick and choose when you want to study. If you're tired, you can rest, if you have energy, you can study more. You can pace yourself and if you really do care about learning, you'll push yourself the right amount. The forums and group meetings can really help.