Mlb.tv "mobile-only" now 39.99 but doesnt work on ipad and video out

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by einmusiker, Jun 4, 2011.

1. einmusiker, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Hey, just decided to get mlb.tv today since the brewers are playing decent ball and discovered the mobile only subscription is only 39.99 now. It worked well on my ipad and i even hooked up to my 50" plasma and watched it on the big screen. Very good deal if you are out of your teams market and they are doing well this far into the season.

Edit: unfortunately it doesnt work. It worked for me for about 4 days but they must have realized it was a mistake and took it down, some people have used it with the iphone app though on their ipads see below

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Thanks! Can you the same account for iPad and iPhone?

3. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Yes but you have to buy at bat seperately for both devices unfortunately :rolleyes:

So 40+15+15=70 for both devices. Not too bad

4. emgoodman macrumors regular

They don't list the iPad as a device under mobile subscription and if you try to purchase through the App it only gives you the full offerings. Do you view the games through Safari instead of the iPad App?

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Do they still block out the local game on the mobile version? Only reason why I haven't gotten that, no point if I'm blocked from watching my favorite team.

6. Bag302 macrumors regular

Curious also

7. MTI macrumors 65816

The "new offer" column of the MLB TV page says Mobile Phone Only which they denote the iPhone/Touch and Android phones, but not the iPad.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

They still do. Though, if you're jailbroken you can use a location spoofer to get around that.

I actually synced the phone app to my iPad, so I can watch the games on my iPad as well, and only purchased the app once. The video, when in fullscreen, is the same quality as it is on my phone.

9. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

They dont list it but it does work, no you dont have to go through safari just the app itself

Nice i'll try that

10. mirage699 macrumors member

The offer is not enable on the mlb 2011 for iPad. :(

11. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Not sure what you mean? But ive been watching games every day on ipad and i paid 39.99. Are you outside the us?

12. lmccleve macrumors newbie

Question

Thanks for all of the posts, i got mlb tv to work on my iphone 4 (downloaded it from itunes store and purchased) Atbat mobile app.... but when i synced atbat to my ipad i wasnt able to watch the games because it gave me a "sign on restriction." This is probably because i had my iphone using atbat earlier. i guess you cant run both at the same time. I still havent gotten it to work yet. Maybe tomorrow it will work? But i was wondering if any of you have had this problem and have found a solution to it. thanks!

13. mirage699 macrumors member

There are two versions of mlb 2011. One is for the ipad only and the other is for either ipad and/or iphone. If you use the iphone version on the iphone you will have to use the 2x button to have the live picture fill the screen.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

That's odd. I would try again. There are times when I've been watching one game on my phone and another game on my iPad and I've never, ever gotten that error code.

That's what I do. If you're watching Gameday the 2x is a bit pixelated, but if you're just watching the video, the picture quality is just as good as it is on my phone.

15. CIA macrumors 6502a

So just to clarify (since I just bought this $39.99 deal).....

It now works on my iPhone 4, yay! (using iPhone version of @bat)

On my iPad (using the iPad version of MLB@Bat, which I also bought) it will not work.

Loading the iPhone version onto the iPad does give me video, but it certainly doesn't look as good as it did back when MLB.tv was free at the beginning of the season. That video (the free one, on the iPad) was HD sharp. This one, while fine from a reasonable distance, looks terrible sitting on my lap. All pixelated and grainy. The bummer of 2Xing a iPhone app on the iPad I guess.
    If this does work on the native iPad app, how? I can't seem to get it to load any video, just offers me the option to subscribe to MLB.TV premium.

16. Wicker macrumors regular

This is what happened to me. Any way to get the video to work with the iPad version of At Bat? It seemed that was what the OP was suggesting.

17. camarobh macrumors 6502

Yes, unless the game isn't on local TV.

18. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I only have the native ipad app, didnt buy it for my iphone. I subscribed to the 39.99 deal, logged in on ipad and it worked. Maybe its because youre trying on two devices? Did you log out of iphone app?

19. CIA macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you have the iPad version? Is the icon for At Bat 11 Gray (iPad) or Black (iPhone)?

20. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

This is the part of MLB.TV that makes no sense at all. They advertise that you can "keep up with your favorite teams while traveling" but regardless of where you are when the game being played, your home market team is blacked out.

I have the MLB app and listen to the radio broadcast while watching the gameday screen.

21. Wicker, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

Wicker macrumors regular

When I subscribed I tried the iPad app before the iPhone app... didn't work.

Oh well, I guess I can live with the slightly pixelated video. Here's hoping MLB decide to let us watch on the iPad using the mobile subscription.

--EDIT

I seem to have got the mobile subscription to work with the iPad, at least for now.

I deleted the (native) app from my iPad, rebooted, then reinstalled it. Then when I opened it I went to settings and cleared my MLB.tv account details using the button at the bottom. I then closed the app and completely killed it from the multitasking bar. Then I opened it again, entered my MLB.tv details, and it works! At least with archived games, will have to try it with a live game later today.

It's possible that all you have to do is clear your MLB.tv details from the settings page and that will do the trick. However, I thought I would post the full procedure I went through just in case.

22. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

mines definitely the native app. it doesnt have the option of going 1x or 2x like the iphone apps.

23. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Maybe I missed it...does the iPad/iPhone4 version work over 3g?

is there a general consensus? Does it or does it NOT work on the iPad (the 39.99 version that says it actually DOES work on the iPad:))??

Thanks all

J

24. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

yes it works, and it works on 3g

25. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

SOAB :mad:
    Just tried to log in to watch a game and am getting the subcribe to mlb.tv message. So they now realized they made a mistake and are screwing me? When i first signed up i was taken to a screen which offered the mobile-only option. If i cant use it i will DEMAND a full refund as this is clearly bait and switch :mad: