Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Hi

I have try search of ask before and don't seem to find exact info.

Recently someone iPhone keep without Internet and I send photo and it convert to MMS and that cost me extra charge (I am from UK).

I know send as SMS will convert to SMS if no data and want keep that on.

I wonder if switch off MMS in setting: will I still send iMessage photo and video like normal to other iOS device and recieve them from iOS device?

Or switch off MMS prevent any iMessage photo/video send and receive?

I don't want send MMS and receive MMS cos charge but do want keep SMS on if iMessage not available.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Mms photos need Internet to send. If you switch mms off you won't be able to send or receive pics.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
iMessage picture messages will go thru wifi for free to other iMessage accounts.
If you're sending to non iMessage recipients it will send via mms and charge you. If you're not connected to wifi and send picture iMessages will send them as mms since you have no data and will charge you again.
Just so you understand how it works.

If you turn off mms you will not receive or be able to send mms messages to anyone. But iMessage pictures or videos will go thru when you're connected to wifi.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Let me try explain again: I know send photo or video to non iPhone will MMS. I not doing that.

I only send photo or video to iPhone only and sometime that person not on Internet. I can't tell when they got internet or not.

What I want know: if switch MMS off will iMessage photo and video will still send and receive using data to iPhone??

No info online seem able answer that.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Let me try explain again: I know send photo or video to non iPhone will MMS. I not doing that.

I only send photo or video to iPhone only and sometime that person not on Internet. I can't tell when they got internet or not.

What I want know: if switch MMS off will iMessage photo and video will still send and receive using data to iPhone??

How do you switch MMS off? Do you mean if you switch SMS off? I don't see a setting on the iPhone to disable only MMS.

If you're turning SMS off and trying to send an iMessage to someone with iMessage, then yes, it will still work as long as you and the person you're sending it to have an Internet connection.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
You can switch off go setting app and scroll down Messages and scroll down see MMS Messaging.

I try switch off MMS few days see if I can send and receive photo/video to iPhone people.

Thanks.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Oh I get it now.
Yes, if you switch mms off your picture and video iMessages will still be able to work to send and receive.

Reactions: Gav2k

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
You can switch off go setting app and scroll down Messages and scroll down see MMS Messaging.

I try switch off MMS few days see if I can send and receive photo/video to iPhone people.

Thanks.
Nvm I see it now. I'm blind. But yeah, SMS/MMS and iMessage are completely separate things. Turning one off will not affect the other.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Oh I get it now.
Yes, if you switch mms off your picture and video iMessages will still be able to work to send and receive.

Thanks. That what I wanted know. :) Now no worry get extra charge for MMS.

Nvm I see it now. I'm blind. But yeah, SMS/MMS and iMessage are completely separate things. Turning one off will not affect the other.

Yeah. Easy to miss. Most info online show lot screenshot of SMS setting but not MMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.