MN Public Schools Budget FAIL

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MattSepeta, Apr 18, 2011.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Boy am I glad that I have no kids in school right now....

As a product of the Minnesota Public School system, I can tell you, without a doubt, that there was no "pushing out" of minority students. There was no "perpetuating white privilege".

And people still have the nerve to complain about school budget cuts. Maybe if we didn't send our teachers to crap "seminars" like this, we could have newer text books, or higher on another teacher, or whatever it is people think we need.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Did you even bother to go to the WPC website and read about them, or is this simply some knee jerk reaction you're parroting from a right wing bloviator?

The name of the group is sort of odd, but reading through it, they are taking a different approach to racism and that is to be commended.

Somehow given your history here, I doubt you'd have problems with the seminar if it concerned right wing principles.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This could just be situation of meeting mandetory continuing education at the lowest price. If you are a doctor, you are required to take a certain number of hours of continuing medical education. Same goes for attorneys and many other professions.

I'm not a teacher, but based on my experiences with continuing education, sometimes you take really weird classes to meet the mandated minimum requirements. I would not be surprised if the state paid for this program (especially if it was inexpensive) so its teachers could meet their requirements. That isn't necessarily a determination that the seminar is the state's policy on any particular issue.

I don't really know, just a hypothesis.

4. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

What part of my "history" would suggest that?

I have problems with ANY superfluous misuse of funds, be it a seminar for "White Privilege" or a Seminar for "poor hunting" or whatever "right-wing principle"you are imagining. School is for teaching Reading Riting and Rithmetic. NOT Social engineering, be it engineering for all out cut-throat capitalism or all-out make believe communism. Teach them Reading skills. Writing skills. Math skills. Hell, I even support funding for arts in the schools, despite what you garnered from my "history here".

As far as your initial dismissal based on my source, I read that article as well as the piece on the Start Tribune, HARDLY "right-wing" publication.

If you were trying to take home some meaty information about the, let' say, Koch brothers, would you go to their website as your course? :rolleyes:

Anyways, I navigated away from their site as soon as I came across this gem:
    All this being said, I do not doubt that racism and bigots are alive and well in our country and every other country across the globe. I simply think it is a bit preposterous to funnel funds away from the legitimate education mission. If this was being done in Georgia or Mississippi, I would be a bit more open to the idea, but the idea that Minneapolis, MN is intolerant actually blows my mind. Our city is consistently ranked among the most gay-friendly, and I imagine it is pretty similar in other regards.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Did you look at Matt's link? The site has an About page that says
    FWIW :rolleyes:

6. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Gotta agree with you there... I heard about this story via word of mouth from an acquaintance. I searched for it, and "The Blaze" was the top and most reputable looking story.

Here is the Star Tribune piece if it will put you at ease

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You do realize that the author of the opinion (the article is on the opinion page of the Star) piece is part of a very conservative, right wing think tank, don't you?

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Boy, am I glad that I have no kids .... period.

It's getting to the point that the SPCA would be involved, for what is about to happen to them.

Good luck.

9. ender land macrumors 6502a

Schools are a bureaucracy of inefficiencies. Especially public schools.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of problem kids (and parents too unfortunately) who also help make it that way.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That is what I figure it is. Sounds like the district was getting a pretty good deal at that cost per head. Those things normally cost a lot more.

It is required for teachers to have continuing education and most districts allow the teacher to submit the cost to the district for reimbursement. Teachers are giving a pretty board range of stuff they can do it on. As long as the reimbursement cost are reasonable they generally will cover it. They will not pay travel expensive for it.
    My mom has to have so many hour ever few years and she does most of them during the summer and does them locally. District pays for them.
    On top of that districts will often times have things brought in and then they will get subs for the teachers for that day. Depends what it is.

I think this is an example of making a mountain out of a mole hill.

11. dime21 macrumors 6502

The biggest problem with public schools today is the tenure at the university level, and the unions at the state and local level. These teachers become so sheltered, so buffered from the real world they have no business teaching children. A teacher should not be impossible to fire, as they mostly all are today. Tenured professors end up as hot-air spewing left wing buffoons with little to no understanding of the real world. Union school teachers end up fat and lazy, no need to put any effort in since its damn near impossible to fire them, no matter how poorly their students perform. Even for serious offenses, they simply get transferred to another school instead of fired or reprimanded. What a broken system.

12. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

So by that logic, all schools in states with no unions should be topping the rankings? I guess I should have gone to Clemson or USC...