MO Senator wants using B.C./A.D. to become law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jan 8, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Every 4 years, I have the pleasure of voting against this jackass, and every 4 years, I'm disappointed when he still somehow manages to win...

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=138014
    2 things that bug me. The first is the obvious. Use of religious terms like this should not be mandated by law. The second thing that bugs me....this is where my tax dollars are going? I'm paying for crap like this to be debated in our state senate. What a waste of money...

2. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

This is one of the things you do to placate a base. Politicians have no real expectations that it will pass, but it makes them look good to their voters.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nothing like a little pandering to the fundie fringe in a quest for votes...

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i do like bd/ad but not enought to justify stuff like this. aka wasting my money for something that really doesnt have any significance.

on a side note: do nations of other religions go by a different year? i mean its 2008 for us but what about china, maybe 3000? 4000? i dunno just stuff ive wondered

5. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

It depends on their calendar system, but anywhere connected to the real world will use 2008 as the year. Talking about ancient history they're likely to use their calendar system.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, that's sad. Especially how it could then affect which textbooks could be used. Superfantastic!!:eek:
    Glad I'm finally out of KC. The last decent politician to come out of MO was Truman, so I hear seeing as how I wasn't around then, but I know there hasn't been anyone good during my lifetime. It surprises me how backwards politics are in Jeff. City.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

Good grief. BCE/CE is still based on the Gregorian calendar. Isn't that good enough? It's not as if there's some massive change in the calendar system involved.

Anybody this obsessed and intolerant of the most mundane thing which doesn't directly reference Jesus needs to take a valium or something.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

While I basically agree with you (waste of time and money, stupid law), I find the people using BCE and CE a little silly. They haven't changed the basis of the demarcation, it's still based on the birth of Christ. They've only changed the words used to denote it. Besides, it's not as if most people know that AD stands for Anno Domini and even less know what that means...

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that both sides of the argument seem pretty ridiculous to me.

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_calendar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_calendar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_calendar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_calendar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_calendar

Lots of countries use some combination of both.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

So, what is your explanation of what separates before and after common era? You can pretend that it's based on an arbitrary zeroing of the date, but that wouldn't change what its really based on.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Whatever. I'm certainly glad our public officials like Loudon are protecting us from.......

--what exactly is he protecting us from again? :confused:

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

boredom?

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

MORAL BANKRUPTCY

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

while this is clearly a total waste of tax money to discuss such things i find it kinda silly how to replace BC/AD in the first place .. last time that was did around here was in the DDR

especially since nobody has problems using old german/roman gods and other stuff for use in weekdays ... even worse in months where even the caesars come into play

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What is that?

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

A side effect of the current subprime christianity crisis.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I thought the new bankruptcy laws made this impossible to file for anymore?

18. Queso macrumors G4

Well it certainly couldn't be the birth of "Christ", as King Herod died in 4BCE and Quirinius didn't become Governor of Judaea until 7CE, so even if you take one of those events of the "Nativity" to be true (and you can't take both, that's impossible) you still don't get the reference year 0 matching up.

How about we name it 0 TSYOTROTEAC*? I like the old ways best :)

*Twenty-seventh year of the reign of the Emperor Augustus Caesar.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps Consensus Zero and Before Consensus Zero?

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think calling it BC and AD is fine. After all we name Celsius after the man who created it. And most mathematical equations are named after their discoverer (or the mathematician who published first). But it certainly isn't worth changing it back now its been changed.

21. bartelby macrumors Core

As much as I dislike the idea of organised religions and despise Christianity. Not using B.C. and A.D. is going too far. As pointed out B.C.E. still uses "the birth of christ" as year zero (which was a poor album, but I digress). Even palaeontologists use BC, don't they?

How do Pastafarians refer to dates?
    B.P. and A.P.

And as for saying "anywhere connected to the real world uses" is just retarded...

22. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Personally, I dont use BC/AD, I use BCE/CE because I dont believe the man Jesus to be the christ, even if his *supposed* birth happened at year 0.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So maybe we should use BJ and AJ as our dates?

24. bartelby macrumors Core

Yet you still use the non birthday as year zero? :confused:

I know what a BJ is, does an AJ involve asses?

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

According to Urban Dictionary it does :p. But I was referring to it as Before Jesus and After Jesus ;)