Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Since my laptop is un-usable until I can buy a new charger, I will be using my ASUS A626 MyPal PocketPC. Is ther a mobile version (Such as "m.macrumors.com")?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The new forum software is specifically designed to be adaptable to whatever device you access it on. No more mobile version.

Reactions: grahamperrin

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
The new forum software is specifically designed to be adaptable to whatever device you access it on. No more mobile version.
I find that untrue. I tried CREATING this thread on the PocketPC and it returned a Error saying i did not answer the required Poll questions.(???)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The new site effectively killed Classilla, which is(I think) designed to present itself as an old Nokia smartphone.

I use to be able to browse even the desktop version on my PowerMac 9600. Now, the site is just useable in Classilla on a 1.25ghz MDD G4. It makes IE 5 roll over and play dead :)

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
OP needs to get Tapatalk for his iPhone :apple:
I guess you're not aware, Matthew here thinks iPhone/smartphone users are "Lazy". It has something to do with a non-lazy person would carry a phone, MP3 play, PDA, camera, GPS, reference books, dictionary, notepad, alarm clock, portable DVD player, laptop, weather station, map set, typewriter, etc than just a smartphone. I think the "smart" in smartphone implies someone would be smart do to this. He also has this long standing belief that one much choose between a computer and a phone, as if you can't own both and that "most people" (or many?) opt solely for an $800 iPhone.

Reactions: redheeler

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I guess you're not aware, Matthew here thinks iPhone/smartphone users are "Lazy". It has something to do with a non-lazy person would carry a phone, MP3 play, PDA, camera, GPS, reference books, dictionary, notepad, alarm clock, portable DVD player, laptop, weather station, map set, typewriter, etc than just a smartphone. I think the "smart" in smartphone implies someone would be smart do to this. He also has this long standing belief that one much choose between a computer and a phone, as if you can't own both and that "most people" (or many?) opt solely for an $800 iPhone.
Damn, if Matthew is correct, then I'm super lazy. How dare I try to make my life easier by consolidating into an iPhone?

brb, gonna go throw my TI calculator away and carry around an abacus... I'm an idiot.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Since my laptop is un-usable until I can buy a new charger, I will be using my ASUS A626 MyPal PocketPC. Is ther a mobile version (Such as "m.macrumors.com")?

A Pocket PC? That is quiet old school. Why not use a Palm device?:p

Wouldn't going to best buy and picking up a charger be a better answer than trying to make this site work on you Pocket PC?

That seems like it would be a whole lot easier.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
No, a cell phone and a laptop/netbook would surfice. All the rest you said just makes it harder than it has to be.
AND my point is people can/will/DO spend $800 for a ******** phone yet say they can't afford Internet and a computer?
A Pocket PC? That is quiet old school. Why not use a Palm device?:p

That seems like it would be a whole lot easier.
Palm is useless pocketpc still useful.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You forgot to mention his favorite car is a Daewoo.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
No, a cell phone and a laptop/netbook would surfice. All the rest you said just makes it harder than it has to be.
AND my point is people can/will/DO spend $800 for a ******** phone yet say they can't afford Internet and a computer?

Palm is useless pocketpc still useful.

PocketPC is just as obsolete as Palm. No one is making software or hardware. Microsoft dropped support years ago. It can run programs of that era, but you can't expect compatibility with future technology.

93% of employed households have computers. 85% of households have Internet (the exception is generally senior citizens). BTW most states ISP's for low income households ($10/month in CT). 65% of Americans have smartphones. Therefore far more people own computers than smartphones.

98% of college students own a computer. When I was in college I didnt know of a single person without a computer.

I'm not sure how many computerless iPhone users you know, but I imagine they're in a minority. If they don't own a computer, they probably don't find the need for one. Unless you're doing a lot of productivity (word, excel, quicken), video editing, photo editing, etc work, you're needs might be met with a phone.

I would predict in the future your cell phone and computer will merge into one. Motorola had a droid that plugged into a laptop shell a few years ago. I anticipate with advances in tech, that's the way we're heading.

I guess my point is I don't understand where the "lazy" part comes into this. Are you saying people who can't afford computers are "lazy" because they are poor?

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
So useful you can't access MacRumors on it.
Yes I can. I can read/reply to topics just cannot create threads.
PocketPC is just as obsolete as Palm. No one is making software or hardware. Microsoft dropped support years ago. It can run programs of that era, but you can't expect compatibility with future technology.

93% of employed households have computers. 85% of households have Internet (the exception is generally senior citizens). BTW most states ISP's for low income households ($10/month in CT). 65% of Americans have smartphones. Therefore far more people own computers than smartphones.

98% of college students own a computer. When I was in college I didnt know of a single person without a computer.

I'm not sure how many computerless iPhone users you know, but I imagine they're in a minority. If they don't own a computer, they probably don't find the need for one. Unless you're doing a lot of productivity (word, excel, quicken), video editing, photo editing, etc work, you're needs might be met with a phone.

I would predict in the future your cell phone and computer will merge into one. Motorola had a droid that plugged into a laptop shell a few years ago. I anticipate with advances in tech, that's the way we're heading.

I guess my point is I don't understand where the "lazy" part comes into this. Are you saying people who can't afford computers are "lazy" because they are poor?
1. Opera Mobile 10 (or 11) and UCBrowser 7. Work just fine people think it's a smartphone. :p
2. I want proof of that.
3. It's called UbuntuPhone.
4. No, not lazy, just stupid. You cannot afford a computer and lifeline Internet but can afford a $100-$800 phone and pay $50+ for a plan? I have yet to meet a single person (besides the people who debate on MR) that can actually give a REASON for having/needing a smartphone. Boils down to "I have one because everyone else does" NOT because they ACTUALLY have a use for it. Not ONE friend i have or had can ever give a reason, or atleast a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Internet technologies evolve at a rapid pace and older browsers, if not updated (and sometimes even when updated), don't keep up with newer developments. Unless there's a huge user base that is using something old that needs to be supported for a particular user, a web site won't hold back on using newer and better technologies when they can. It's pretty much as simple as that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.