Mobile phone giant Nokia is suing Apple, saying the iPhone infringes its patents

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Oct 22, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No more than that at present, "BREAKING" news on the BBC.

So it's taken them what, 2/3 years to decide a patent has been infringed, I wonder what patent?

edit: Article now posted:

BBC.

2. sparky7 macrumors member

10/22/2009 - Nokia (NYSE:NOK) said Thursday that it is suing Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) in Federal District Court in Delaware for infringing on its patents for GSM, UMTS and wireless LAN (WLAN) standards. The ten patents in suit cover wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption, and the company alleges that all iPhone models have infringed on these patents since the device's introduction in 2007. Vice president of legal & intellectual property at Nokia Ilkka Rahnasto said, "The basic principle in the mobile industry is that those companies who contribute in technology development to establish standards create intellectual property, which others then need to compensate for . . . Apple is also expected to follow this principle. By refusing to agree appropriate terms for Nokia's intellectual property, Apple is attempting to get a free ride on the back of Nokia's innovation." Shares of Apple are up 0.2% in early Thursday trading.

http://www.mysmartrend.com/nw/14920

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

4. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

I didn’t even know Nokia was still around. How things have changed.

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I looked this suit over... Apple might be in some DEEP trouble here.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

From what I read, Nokia actually as a case here. It's not just a struggling company suing the rich.

If I remember correctly, Nokia isn't really suing for a massive amount. What it wants is for Apple to pay a licencing fee for the Nokia patents that Apple are using but not paying for.

I could have remembered this wrong.

9. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Guys, Nokia is hardly a 'struggling company'. From what I can tell, it's not one of the bigger players in handsets in North America, which is where most of the people in this forum live, but over here in ole Yurp, Nokia have like one handset per household or something. Possibly more in some countries :p. Something like 90% of the phones you see are either Nokia, or Samsung and Sony Ericsson. Increasing amounts of people own two phones (for work and personal; dual sim phones don't seem to be catching on) and I often see people with a nokia in each hand :p Several people in my own close acquaintance will obstinately buy Nokia and ONLY Nokia. In fact, you could say that it's Apple who is the underdog party here, not Nokia, to be sure :p

I haven't looked at the actual lawsuit like others have, but TENTATIVELY I would say I am suspicious. What I know is that in the last couple of years (at least since iPhone 3G launched in the first EU locations), Nokia have been trying to nail an 'iPhone killer' :rolleyes: They aren't having any success with it, not just in terms of sales, but most of all in terms of the actual device; all of their efforts are vastly inferior to the iPhone. So in other words, I think if they REALLY had the skill to make stuff that 'killed' the iphone, they would have been able to do it patents or no patents. Even if Apple are using stuff that Nokia came up with in the iPhone, these are not what made the iPhone so successful.

So (again, tentatively), it would seem to me that Nokia are just seeking press with this, because they aren't managing to knock the iphone otherwise. And instead of going back to the drawing board and trying again (maybe even refraining for putting out like two dozen new handsets every year that don't have anything new to offer except the same old features remixed a little bit, and a whole truckload of advertising to mesmerize the consumer into thinking they are something new), they are making themselves interesting by saying Apple owes them. Maybe it does, but that's not the problem here, I think ;)

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The problem is Apple thinks by getting components from vendors that already paid Nokia, then there is no need for double payment. To people, Nokia is demanding DOUBLE payment.

Nokia is failing.

Nokia spent more than $4 billion MORE than Apple on R&D. Their R&D is burning money with little to show. When is the last time you put Nokia and innovation in the same sentence?

Oh and Nokia just axed 330 jobs from their R&D. Must be doing great.

FYI, large market share = cheap phone without investment into usability.

Just look at the recent global data usage chart.

Symbian is used mostly by Nokia:

Global unit sales of smartphones
    Symbian is 46%
    iPhone is 18%

Global data traffic
    Symbian is 25%
    iPhone is 50%

Nokia "smart" phones are not very smart. Suffers from poor usability.

11. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

What does any of what you said after the second sentence have to do with this?

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

My guess is Consultant is saying Nokia is jealous of iPhone and its traffic so is suing because of that jealousy.

Maybe the iPhone is making the big players nervous.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think in 5+ threads made on this it has been shown Nokia has a cases. ALl the other cell phone makers pay Nokia the royalits and Apple had been going back and forth for a while and refused to pay up like everyone else so they got sued.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Parts suppliers are paying nokia already.
    Apple buy the parts from the suppliers that already paid nokia.
    Nokia wants money from Apple.

Yeah pretty much. Good summary. =p
    I must have been responding to something else. Perhaps something from the disappeared thread.