Mobile phones not connecting to Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by to1986, Jun 26, 2013.

1. to1986 macrumors regular

Hi All,

I am having this strange issue with my Airport Extreme where no mobile phones are able to connect to it. The phones are broad selection, including an iPhone 4S, a windows phone and an android. However I am having no issues connecting with my iPad 3rd Gen or my Macbook.

The airport extreme is a 5th gen device, so has dual band connectivity and is running the latest firmware - 7.6.3. The even stranger thing is that it was working fine with all devices in a different apartment.

Any idea as to why this is? So far I have restored both the iphone and the airport extreme to factory settings without success. Anything else I can try?

2. JGO macrumors member

Do you know if the APE is set up to broadcast BOTH 2.4 and 5 GHZ?

The iPhone 4S is 2.4ghz n only.

3. to1986 thread starter macrumors regular

Well the radio mode is set to automatic, so I presume they are both broadcasting, is there a way to check?

----------

Ahh I figured it out, the radio channel for the 2.4Ghz frequency was set to automatic and was on channel 1, which must have been conflicting with the other router in my house. Changed it to channel 6 and its working fine! Thanks JGO!

4. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Hi,

I had a similar problem not so long ago that happened after I changed my carrier. Found an answer here on MR.
    So, all you need to do is change the 2,4GHz from "auto" to channel 9 or 11 - one of them worked for me. If it doesn't work try a couple of channels.

PS. Sometimes simply "forgetting" the network on the iPhone also helps.

Good luck