Moderate and Liberal women, how important is Sarah Palin?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Sep 8, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

It may still take a lot for battleground states, but moderate women, and maybe liberal women, may come out in favor of Palin and thus eventually help McCain's chances. The electoral count is 301-224 for Obama.

But with two months left, things can change with the female vote if Palin gets a considerable slice of Hilary voters.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

When will people start voting for the candidate who they feel is better qualified/ a better leader instead of their genitalia or skin color?

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Liberal women will NOT vote for Sarah Palin.

I can say that with 100% assurance. She stands for everything we are against, and the fact that she has a vagina doesn't change that.

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I believe Obama-Biden is the better pair overall. But that being said, there is definitely a gender based glass ceiling in the President and Vice President slots. It is certainly a big deal that we have had two female Secretary of States, and a female Speaker of the House.

We just got over if a minority (male), or a woman was better suited to be the Presidential candidate in the Democratic party. There is no doubt that Hilary had more experience, but I have heard a lot of comments, even from women, doubting the ability of any woman to lead the country.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'd say Hillary could have been a better leader, she's been in the spot light for a lot longer than Obama and I feel she was far better qualified than he. Having said that I think it'd make more sense for Obama to be president, since much of the country wouldn't get behind Clinton simply because of her reproductive organs.

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I remember Mondale-Ferraro and that was 24 years ago. It may be another quarter of a century before the stars line up and there is a woman like Ferraro, Clinton, or Palin to get onto a major ticket.

Liz Dole had a fighting chance and some have brought up the name of Nancy Pelosi, but the field seems quite thin most of the time.

Condi Rice has too much baggage with Bush Jr. and Madeline Albright is probably too old.

My wife and mom voted for Hilary in the primaries and my dad and I voted for Obama. But I was very close to choosing Hilary.

7. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

My mother took me out of school to go to a Mondale/Ferraro rally when I was nine. :) Exciting times, those. Until the trouncing. :eek:

I voted for Hillary, but Hillary and Obama are very very close in policy, and I have no respect for anyone who voted for her who won't vote for Obama. Like she said in the DNC speech: were they voting for her or voting for the policies?

Anyway, there was no question that I would be voting for Obama once he won the nomination. And for me, McCain's choice of Palin was a huge insult. I would have felt better about his pandering insulting patronizing choice if it had been someone like Christine Todd Whitman, Olympia Snow, or Kay Bailey Hutchison. Those women at least have been on the national scene, and he could have at least pretended that he picked her for reasons other than her vagina, but they were too moderate for him (read his controllers/advisors).

Choosing one of them wouldn't have changed my vote, but I wouldn't have felt the outrage and insult at the pick, and outright fear that I feel thinking about her being "one heartbeat away."

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That mindset just blows me away.

Maggie did a pretty good job in England and Merkel has proven to be a very adept negotiator.

I voted for Hilary because of her experience and I think a lot of others voted for Obama because of his youth.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

My girlfriend would agree. She sees the Palin nomination as a step back for women, and I'd probably agree with her.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

[ ... ] " moderate women, and maybe liberal women, may come out in favor of Palin" [ ... ]

About zero chance with liberal women, and moderate women will probably turn out to be an insignificant percentage. These women are smart. Not many are going to embrace someone who is a contra to the issues which concern them most. Several of the largest (NOW, NARAL) and most influential women's groups, are actively campaigning against her already. I know because I have taken 3 of their calls (for my wife).

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Thatcher was a bloody disaster in Britain, which to me at least proved one thing,whilst I've always known women could be every bit as effective as men at any job Thatcher proved they could also be as terrible.

13. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Taking the piss, surely?

15. pooryou macrumors 65816

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

LOL.

You mean by destroying entire communities?

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Looks like we've find a subject to unite the Brits (although there's bound to be a diehard thatcherite along in a moment).

18. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Nah, we got the last one in 1997, he was hiding in an old air-raid shelter near Portsmouth...

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

considering this is the first presidential election where a woman or african american have been on the ballot, i think its a valid question....

20. pooryou macrumors 65816

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It really shouldn't matter, nor should it be a reason for why people vote for any candidate.

22. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Being a baby boomer, I was sure that a minority (male) would be at the top of the ticket. There is no doubt that on the other side, former Secretary of State Powell was a real possibility and not too long ago there was always talk about him.

I just think with the United States, a female VP pawn is all the American people will be ready for. Personally I am ready to see a female as a likely Presidential candidate but I doubt I will see it in my lifetime.

In business, there have been major company CEOs that are minorities and that ceiling was broken decades ago. I used to read the Black Entrepreneurs magazine back when I was an MBA student before the advent of computers in the dark ages but the magazine, which profiled high level leaders in business were all men. It's only in the most recent years that women have gone past the CEO barrier. There seems to be a three decade gap there.

Mrs. Clinton and Mrs. Dole are probably the most possible chances for President that I will ever see in my lifetime and that, could, be because they are related to powerful politicians.

23. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that a majority of the people that are hyped up about Palin are people who would have ultimately voted for that ticket anyway, but just have perhaps been less enthused about it.

24. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I have not yet lost sufficient faith in this country that liberal women would vote for Palin just because she's a woman.

25. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

ABC news radio reported that Palin could possibly get up 25% percent of Hilary's voters and if that number stays, it could mean that McCain-Palin picks up a battleground state or two.

Now, after Palin being introduced, it's 281-230 for Obama (September 10, 2:21 a.m. est) with a massive 20 point drop for Obama in the last few days and a respectable 7 point pickup for McCain.

Of course most of the time, Obama has had an extremely slim lead in both popular vote and electoral vote since the beginning of the year. It's only part of the summer where Obama was way ahead of McCain.

My fear is that now the conventions are over, both sides will change their stances and go moderate as is the case right before November to get the majority in the middle.

Palin is going to start touting her liberal to moderate side (siding with gay partner benefits in Alaska and fighting the reactionary oil rich right wing old boys network, which she hid at the convention, and that could mean Ohio and Virginia for the GOP, states that a few days ago were leaning for Obama by a narrow margin.

The only thing that could haunt her is that during the debates, there is no way she can talk about her experience vs. Obama or Biden. She will lose political credibility in the next two months, but that could backfire as people genuinely feel sorry for her and could relate to her being a PTA mom and mother of a teenage mom to be.

Anyway, this will be a very interesting election.

With Palin in the mix, Florida has shifted more towards Obama-Biden and it will be interesting to see if she had a negative effect in that state.