Mohave 10.14.5 bug

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
use caution:
Mohave 10.14.5 and maybe also .4 lock up reset. Maybe associated with screen saver and or power save.
if you already have a working situation dont upgrade.
maybe wait for 10.15

disclaimer:
I am sure someone will chime in saying theirs works fine so do what you want

Last edited:

Honza1

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
US
use caution:
Mohave 10.14.5 and maybe also .4 lock up reset. Maybe associated with screen saver and or power save.
if you already have a working situation dont upgrade.
maybe wait for 10.15

disclaimer:
I am sure someone will chime in saying theirs works fine so do what you want
Well, this is about as useless report as it gets - and does not even include hardware...
This is not common situation, there would be flurry of reports on this as number of Mojave 10.14.5 running computers is huge. So warning like this does little to be useful to anyone...

There is known issue with 10.14.5 (and 10.14.4, but not before as far as we know) and some usb-c/thunderbolt hubs. It has been reported to Apple and is not yet fixed. If your system sleeps (deep sleep = long time) while connected to such hub, under some conditions and with only some hubs it does not wake up correctly. System is very slow to respond, more or less you need to do hard reboot to get it operational again. This has been reported here (and on Apple forums as well as to apple bug report) and search would discover it, including note, that it can be improved by changing sleep parameters through command line or changing hub (but both of my hubs are doing it and they are even different manufacturer).
But it is not clear from your description if this is what you experience or if it is something else. Adding more details would make this more useful to community and may be someone knows how to fix problem you have...

Reactions: chabig and jeyf

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Well, this is about as useless report as it gets...
dont get mad:
because
it must be the way i hold it OR user error

both home computers effected same way:
early 2017 MBP (os updated after KB work at an apple store)
mid 2016 iMac (clean wipe install at apple store).

no aggressive apps installed on these machines, they are used at the house to watch netflx, iTunes and VLC for watching anime
same apps that were being used prior to the upgrade
totally simple usage and certainly I not using usbC, docking or extra monitor

system not slow, just after screen saver and or power save kickin system becomes unstable
Sometimes computers drops network devices, maybe not
sometimes will end running applications, other times will hang there waiting for them to quit (not)
sometimes you see a self assigned "Flury" screen saver after timeout lock up.

did the usual things
re installed latest apps direct from software house
reset system smc and novrams
tried PowerSave's screen saver vs DeskTopScreenSaver
cleared system cache
closed applications when finished

again users should be careful with Mojave 10.15.4 or .5.
If your MAC is working as is dont upgrade till Catalina is available.

I am getting push back from the family.
boyfriend left one of his work Dell "for us to use"

stay calm
have a good day

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
I would agree that your initial post was essentially useless, for you didn't even tell anyone what the supposed bug is. All you said was "lock up reset".