Mojave (10.14) beta on 2009 hacked firmware Mac Pros that are identical to Mid 2010?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by applCore, Jun 4, 2018.

1. applCore macrumors regular

applCore

We have multiple Early 2009 Mac Pros that run with "upgraded" firmware and are faster than our 2010 models with upgrades.

Anyone have any luck installing the beta to such models yet?

Been waiting 15 years for a dark interface and I'll be DAMNED if I'm only a few months away from support Apple!

2. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

My understanding is that the current build won't even work on the 2010 Mac Pros yet, and certainly not without a Metal compatible GPU.

3. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Apple mentioned that support for the Mac Pro 5,1 is coming in a later beta, as long as you have a Metal-capable GPU.

4. applCore thread starter macrumors regular

applCore

All of ours have Metal-capable GPUs (and sadly no video or textually verbose boot as a negative side effect since they are not EFI compatible video BIOS) so this is sounding good. I might give this a try on one to see how it goes.

5. campodoro74 macrumors newbie

campodoro74

For now, no luck on my 4,1->5,1 Mac Pro with RX 470:

6d2c9999-7309-4173-8a59-7212f7fc52ad.jpg

6. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

That's expected.
    Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 05.07.25.png

7. applCore thread starter macrumors regular

applCore

@redheeler may have the answer in that it could be supported in the coming weeks or months...

But we need to keep in mind that we may have to work around this. There is no true technical reason for this and so we'll just push our way through Apples truly asinine mentality for this. Our studio is feeling like this may be the last OS release we care about from Apple. This is actually heart breaking.

It may be possible to take a cue from the Hackintosh community to create a custom identifier and boot real Macs from Clover to achieve our needs.

The good news is that if we do work around this we might be able to finally get our boot video back up when running non-Apple EFI GPUs.

8. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

I tried all combinations of EFI driver and setting I can think of, but still can't get the GOP UEFI work on my cMP 5,1 with the 1080Ti via Clover yet.

9. applCore thread starter macrumors regular

applCore

Very interesting remarks here and his followup remarks below. So it appears that this is possible and that custom SMBIOS works.

10. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Boot from Clover on real Mac is simple, nothing more than a basic installation. However, make GOP UEFI work is hard. For that post (a MacBook), graphic driver is never an issue.

11. applCore thread starter macrumors regular

applCore

From what I understand the best route for running clover on a real Mac is to boot from a USB thumb drive with a new SMBIOS to emulate the hardware you want. As far as the graphics go, I don't think you need GOP UEFI if you are using another video card (such as you can do in a Mac Pro with new Nvidia & AMD/ATI cards).

I'm not clear on integrated cards yet.

12. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

I tried almost all combinations of "legacy / EFI / GOP UEFI" "drivers / settings". I spent quite a few hours on Clover / rEFInd. But still can't get non flashed HD7950, R9 280, R9 380, 1080Ti display anything.

On cMP, USB thumb drive is totally unnecessary. If anything goes wrong. Just hold Option during start can go back to the normal boot manager. Or for cMP user, remove internal hard drive is super simple (boot from USB drive may have more issue). Or even a PRAM reset should make the Mac default boot to macOS. But of course, there is nothing wrong to install to a USB drive as well.

I really hope that someone can figure how to get the PC graphic cards can display something via Clover. I can do the tests if anyone give me some directions / suggestions / recommendations on how to get it done.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2018 ---
    In fact, you don't need to wait 10.14, you can do it now.

Just install Clover, and try to get a non Mac EFI graphic card to display something. I really wish you can make it.

13. Éric 69 macrumors member

Éric 69

Work on my Mac Pro early 2009 :

[​IMG]

14. DaniloGeekDude, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018

DaniloGeekDude macrumors regular

DaniloGeekDude

You might want to read the "unsupported thread" from the link below.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-14-mojave-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2121473/

Check out the devices that are not currently supported but may have a way/process/tweaks that you could run mojave somehow, albeit with limitations/glitches.

*edit* this post may not apply to this thread. But I'm leaving it in just in case it does apply.