Mojave APFS volume can’t be read by High Sierra?

melancholy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
I went to erase my Macintosh HD and created the same volume in Recovery. Upon doing so, I went to reinstall macOS Mojave but didn’t give me the option to continue as it’s stating it wanted to install the macOS Mojave beta.

I was a little confused turned off the computer to search on Google how to log into my developer account from that menu, but when I turned it back on, nothing loaded.

It took me to an internet recovery boot up, and when it finished, it wanted to reinstall macOS Sierra, not macOS Mojave. It wouldn’t even install.

I went back into Disk Utility and it looked like a mess. I can’t recall if macOS Sierra supported APFS, but I feel like this is the reason why? I can’t erase anything either. The volume AppleAPFSMedia cannot be erased into its old filesydtem.

I’m stumped. I don’t know what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: It’s macOS Sierra... not even macOS High Sierra. Why is the internet recovery boot downloading a two year year old version?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
If your machine originally came with Sierra, then if you format the drive or the recovery partition is damaged it defaults to installing the original OS by design. Why they couldn’t let you pick from a list is anyone's guess. If you make your own installer on disc or on a memory stick you can install Mojave directly, and it is faster than Internet Recovery with a USB 3 drive.

You need High Sierra and newer for APFS.

Mojave will kick up a fuss if you install to a non-APFS drive. The only way to force Mojave to HFS is to install it to a spare drive and then clone it to your HFS drive. This is unsupported and can be glitchy.
See: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-it-possible-to-install-mojave-and-keep-hfs.2138162/

If you download the beta from the developer page then you will install a beta. Why are you fighting with the developer website (and a beta), the App store will have the regular version (unless you need the beta).

I have no idea why you cannot format the drive. Are you selecting the whole drive or just the partition in Recovery Disk Utility? I haven't had a problem formatting the drive, even with FileVault.

Reactions: melancholy

melancholy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
If your machine originally came with Sierra, then if you format the drive or the recovery partition is damaged it defaults to installing the original OS by design. Why they couldn’t let you pick from a list is anyone's guess. If you make your own installer on disc or on a memory stick you can install Mojave directly, and it is faster than Internet Recovery with a USB 3 drive.

You need High Sierra and newer for APFS.

Mojave will kick up a fuss if you install to a non-APFS drive. The only way to force Mojave to HFS is to install it to a spare drive and then clone it to your HFS drive. This is unsupported and can be glitchy.
See: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-it-possible-to-install-mojave-and-keep-hfs.2138162/

If you download the beta from the developer page then you will install a beta. Why are you fighting with the developer website (and a beta), the App store will have the regular version (unless you need the beta).

I have no idea why you cannot format the drive. Are you selecting the whole drive or just the partition in Recovery Disk Utility? I haven't had a problem formatting the drive, even with FileVault.
I tried every partition that wasn’t a part of the recovery partition.

It was labeled:
- AppleAPFSMedia
- Macintosh HD
- APS SSD

But none of those can be formatted or erased.