Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yippi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Hi,
Before thinking of Mojave on my MBPro 2015 I am wondering if it will also address the many shortcomings of APFS. APFS is unusable as encrypted dmg, slow as molasses, and Alsoft also warns about APFS as not yet stable.

Does any of the BetaTesters know whether Mojave addresses those APFS issues?

yippi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Hi,
Before thinking of Mojave on my MBPro 2015 I am wondering if it will also address the many shortcomings of APFS. APFS is unusable as encrypted dmg, slow as molasses, and Alsoft also warns about APFS as not yet stable.

Does any of the BetaTesters know whether Mojave addresses those APFS issues?
So, none of the beta testers noticed any change in APFS's security?

richard69

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
I have the iMac with fusion drive 128gb flash and 2tb normal. If I update to mohave using the OTA will be apple to change to APFS or its better to do a clean install using bootable installer ?

Infernos

macrumors member
I had issues with APFS on my external drives. I converted all of them except for the time machine drive to APFS and they kept disconnecting at random, or showing in the finder, but not being accessible until I rebooted. I converted them back to HFS+ and the issues went away.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
I don't see anything on Alsoft's website warning that APFS is unstable.

However. I discovered a gem on their High Sierra page:

• What's in the works

The next major release of DiskWarrior will include the ability to rebuild APFS disks. Apple has just released the APFS format documentation. Our developers are now using that documenation to update DiskWarrior to be able to safely rebuild APFS disks.

So, APFS for DiskWarrior is on the way!

My beefs with APFS:

-Still has that issue with Time Machine corrupting the fsroot tree, I still run into it and the only fix is still cloning, wiping the drive, starting over, probably because Time Machine assumes both filesystems it works with are HFS+.. when they update it and APFS is a valid TM format, maybe in Mojave?

-Flash keys formatted with APFS seem to mount slower

-Disk First Aid is supremely horrible about repairing it

-reeeeeealllllly slow with FileVault2 on older hardware

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.