Mojave downgrade

dazzer21-2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
I've installed Mojave onto my 2015 iMac but I've now got a whole host of broken apps now that worked just fine under Sierra. How can I go back to my original OS?

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You should be able to restore from Time Machine with little effort (if you use it)
Or you can reinstall you Clone from Carbon Copy Cloner (if you use it)

If you don't use one or the other (or both), you may be in for a rough ride...

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
I've installed Mojave onto my 2015 iMac but I've now got a whole host of broken apps now that worked just fine under Sierra. How can I go back to my original OS?
Are they broken or do you just get a warning first time?

Mojave is the last version of macOS to support 32bit apps and therefor shows a warning. But the apps will work fine on Mojave, just not 10.15 whatever name it might get.

dazzer21-2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
I've got all manner of weird and wonderful goings on. My Adobe CC apps appear to be most at fault, although I use those the most - quitting randomly, CEPHTML Engine errors on the hour every hour, so it seems; Linotype Font Explorer de-activates all fonts on quitting so I need to re-activate all my sets when re-starting (pain!), random freezes and takes an age to wake up from sleep, screensharing randomly quits. I've reset P-RAM, etc, but no joy. I use Time Machine, but Mojave has been on my machine for about 2 weeks now. If I restore from Time Machine, assumedly I'd lose the last two week's work if I go back to the last backup that had Sierra on so I'd have to back up first?

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
You should also contact the app developers and tell them to get their butts in gear. They've known for a long time that macOS Mojave will support only 64bit app's.

BigBoy2018

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2018
You should also contact the app developers and tell them to get their butts in gear. They've known for a long time that macOS Mojave will support only 64bit app's.
You’re not paying attention here. First off, Mojave DOES support 32-bit apps. His errors seem to be something entirely different and unique to his setup. For instance, all my Adobe CC apps from 2015 and 2016 work rock solid in Mojave. They both have plenty of residual 32-bit code.
Even iDVD, which is 100% 32-bit and hasn’t been updated by apple since 2011 still works in Mojave.

harriska2

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Sometimes a clean install and reinstallation of apps can do wonders. Welcome to my world of Windows where you had to do this every 3-5 years because it got cluttered, glitchy, and slow. I learned to put ALL my data in 1 place to make this process easier.

loby

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
You’re not paying attention here. First off, Mojave DOES support 32-bit apps. His errors seem to be something entirely different and unique to his setup. For instance, all my Adobe CC apps from 2015 and 2016 work rock solid in Mojave. They both have plenty of residual 32-bit code.
Even iDVD, which is 100% 32-bit and hasn’t been updated by apple since 2011 still works in Mojave.
iDVD does not work 100% in Mojave. Can't change buttons (does not show up) and some of the themes do not work.

With every update or security update on Mojave, 32-bit apps begin or continues to break.