Mojave finder bug re: extensions

revenire

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Whenever I save a web page as a .webarchive the extension shows, even if I have hide extension checked.

This only happens with Mojave, not in Sierra, or in High Sierra.

Any ideas how I can get it to work as it should?

Thank you.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Weird. When I bring up that same Save... dialog and go to that view options dropdown, I don't see the Hide Extension item.

MacBook Pro 2018-12-11 at 11.49.50 AM.png

edit: never mind, I realized I have the Finder "show all extentions" option usually checked. When I uncheck it, I see the same menu as you.

MacBook Pro 2018-12-11 at 11.55.19 AM.png

revenire

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
So when you save the file do you see the extension if you uncheck it?

Last edited:

revenire

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Mojave also does this when cropping a video in QuickTime. Even if I have hide extension checked, it shows the extension. I have to go to the file and manually removed the extension.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
So when you save the file do you see the extension if you uncheck it?
Just checked this. With the Finder's preferences "show all filename extensions" box UNchecked, I hit ⌘-S in Safari to save the page to a web archive file. In the Save dialog, I make sure the "Hide Extension" item IS checked as you showed in your screenshot. I save the file... and the file has the file extension just as you say. (Long-winded way of saying, I can reproduce the bug.)

I personally default to seeing file extensions always, but this is a lame Finder bug.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
I don't have a Mac in front of me, but doesn't the "Hide Extension" checkbox in the Save dialog only pertain to how things are displayed in that Save dialog? I don't think it translates to "Save my item without a file extension", but rather "Don't show file extensions while in this Save dialog".

revenire

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
I don't have a Mac in front of me, but doesn't the "Hide Extension" checkbox in the Save dialog only pertain to how things are displayed in that Save dialog? I don't think it translates to "Save my item without a file extension", but rather "Don't show file extensions while in this Save dialog".
smirk - I am not sure about that but with previous versions of macOS it always hid the extensions when working with files. As ignatius345 said, this is a lame bug.

justanag

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2019
Silicon Valley, CA
Though I am not happy that there is a bug in Mojave with regard to hiding extensions, it's good to know that it IS a bug, and that I am not doing something wrong. I guess we need to file it with Apple...

scottperezfox

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Thank you! Been struggling to understand why save dialog boxes don't append the file extension in Mojave. Like many others, I prefer file extension in just about every instance except Applications (who needs .app really?)