Mojave installation stalled...help!

grumpywino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Downloaded ok, but installation has been stalled for three and a half hours - progress bar just a little under a cm from completion...

I boot from an external ssd (High Sierra) which remained HFS+ and have an external hdd for Time Machine. The internal hdd has boot camp and Sierra.

I anticipated problems! Anyway, before I give up and go to bed...My first assumption was that converting to AFPS would really slow down the installation, but this much? What would be the best course of action? Leave it longer? Halt installation and use Time Machine to restore back to prior to the installation?

grumpywino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
I restored a Time Machine back up for the time being.

I spoke to Apple who seemed to think it was just bad luck and try again. I queried trying to convert the ssd to AFPS first, or just a clean install but the chap I spoke to seems to think try again as is (ie upgrade) before anything else.

Thoughts anyone?

bastisk8

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
I would be interested as well about the update-process. Currently have High Sierra (HFS+) installed on an Samsung T5.
Is there a way to keep HFS+ and not convert to APFS while updating?

grumpywino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
No, Mojave is AFPS I'm afraid.

I decided to reformat my ssd to AFPS then do a clean install (all from recovery) and used Migration Assistant to get all my stuff from Time Machine, so far so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.