Mojave problems

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by gobblertales, Oct 24, 2018.

1. gobblertales macrumors newbie

I am new here so hoping I am in the right place. Upgraded (ha) to Mojave yesterday. Since then I have lost capability of opening any folders or files or documents with double click. Must right click to "open" and that is it. It has also messed up my thunderbird mail. First cuomer service from Apple tried to help and couldn't and the second person had NO idea what he was doing and in fact after 3 hours had my computer really messed up. Anyway, have gotten everything back in order but still have the original problem. Was told the only way now is get rid of Mojave but have to back up entire computer because it could gt lost going back to Sierra. Apple guy said to get a 3 terabyte hard portable drive (about $800) before doing that. I am a disabled vet so if I had that money i would just get a new computer heck. Am at my wits end...any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. FNH15 macrumors 6502

Double click works fine here. Just tried it. What exactly are you trying to open? And what exactly is wrong with Thunderbird?

A 3TB drive is $90, so I don't know how one could remotely come up with a $800 figure... https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Por...pID=31h2rp12GjL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

3. Funsize93 macrumors regular

Funsize93

What OS did you upgrade from?

Did Apple support do any isolation to prove it was Mojave being the cause. Do you have any issues with another user account or safe boot to see if the issue was due to third party kernels or extensions?

Because if the issue is resolved in a new user account then you know its your user settings being the cause. If the issue is resolved in safeboot than you know it was due to some 3rd party software and not Mojave.

If the issue still happened in a new user and safe mode than you know that Mojave is the cause. Which is not normal at all, sounds like an installation got corrupted. I would then reinstall Mojave again so that it patches itself.

4. gobblertales thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, we tried a new user, we tried in safe mode. I upgraded from Sierra and had NO problems at all before downloading the Mojave. We did also re install Mojave. Nothing has worked. still can't use the double click to open pretty much anything. Things in dock are still ok for one click. But anything else will "open" about 1 in 50 times with double click. This is also occurring in Thunderbird. Can't open or close e mails with clicking (needed open open sub files under an e mail etc.). even tried a new mouse (just in case)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 25, 2018 ---
    --- Post Merged, Oct 25, 2018 ---
    Thank you.
    tt
    trying to open...anything. example: folders or and item on desktop (or anywhere else) that you would double click to open...if you continue to double click it will open about 1 in 50 tries. same in thunderbird. To open and close on e mails you actually have to go over to "read" so that means i can't double click on an e mail name (we have several) to see the sub folders underneath an e mail name. Re: 3TB drive. I did check and thank you i will be getting one. but the man ffrom Mac said 3 TB is needed. my mac says i have 129 GB available of 250 GB. Being a novice (plus 71 years old LOL) 3Terabyes seems a bit much but perhaps that is what is needed. but if 1 TB equals 1000 GB it seems to me i could get away with a bit less. Perhaps wishful thinking.

5. chrfr macrumors 604

Take a look in the Mouse settings in System Preferences and try choosing a slower setting for Double-click speed. Are you using a 3rd party mouse and any 3rd party mouse drivers?

6. gobblertales thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep we tried that as well...slowing the speed. Have been using Logitech wireless mice for years. Again had no problems until went to Mojave. Guess i could try and different mouse?

7. chrfr macrumors 604

It definitely seems like it's a mouse problem, not something in Mojave itself.

8. gobblertales thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok just tried my husband Logitech mouse...same problem. tried new batteries of coure and no change as well. I will get my brother to loan me his Mac/Apple mouse later today. but right now everything remains the same.

9. chrfr macrumors 604

Do you have Logitech software installed with those mice? If you do, make sure you've updated it to the latest version.

10. gobblertales thread starter macrumors newbie

mmmmmmm... I have always just plugged in the little "thingy" (sorry) to the usb and go. Never had any problems and never needed to do software installations.

11. chrfr macrumors 604