Mojave upgrade/install observations

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by allanmulwee, Dec 13, 2018.

1. allanmulwee macrumors newbie

allanmulwee

First let me say that fresh install of Mojave is the best way to go when updating the OS from High Sierra or whatever. I have seen dozens of machines come in that won't boot all the way because of "upgrading" the OS without a fresh install.

1. If doing a fresh install on an SSD with Mojave requires the drive to be in HFS+ format. DO NOT FORMAT TO APFS!! Mojave will format the drive AFTER it checks the SSD firmware etc and it has to be in HFS+ in order to do so.
    2. If you format to APFS by mistake first you will need to remove the APFS "container" before you can try to install again. ERASING FROM DISK UTILITY DOES NOT GET RID OF THE CONTAINER. Format the disk in HFS+ format from command line is the only way.
    3. Now, I was really tired when I saw this but I swear that my Mojave installer (thumb drive that I made) turned into a High Sierra installer when I tried to install High Sierra on my 2010 MBP. I'll have to check that one again lol. (I know Mojave wouldn't install on that machine I was just checking the installer that I made)

2. skoone01 macrumors newbie

Interesting as this was not the case here.

Using 10.14.0 full installer at the time, I originally formatted my SSD to HFS+ assuming the OS would handle the reformat to APFS automatically. Not so! Mojave rejected the SSD until I manually re-formatted it to APFS using Disk Utility. After that, Mojave recognized and accepted the SSD.. installed the OS as expected without issue. Still working fine to this day.

I've read others on here experiencing the same result as my own. It seems to be a mixed bag. Some can install with an HFS+ formatted drive while others can't. Strange.

This was using a Mac Pro 5,1 with a Sammy 860 Pro SSD in SATA bay #1. No other drive present during installation.

3. allanmulwee thread starter macrumors newbie

allanmulwee

Maybe it depends on the drive. Mine did require a firmware update. It's an older SSD.

4. skoone01 macrumors newbie

It's certainly possible. It seems that something triggers a software flag in the installer to determine what is and what isn't legit in its inspection routine.

5. 0009827 Suspended

Not sure any of your points are correct. Number 3 being the worst.