Mom getting 3GS - can I swap SIM cards with her and take her phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ero87, Jun 20, 2009.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hey friends,

My mom is convinced she needs an iPhone, and we're going to the Apple Store today to get her a 3GS. The question is this: after we buy it, can I swap SIM cards with her, and she'll just use my 3G (after I wipe the data)? She doesn't want or need the cool new features, so this way we both get new phones :). Logistically, does that work?

Thanks!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why would you do that to your mom?

seriously? if i bought a new iphone, i wouldnt want my kid to want me to swap with him and then get his old phone

you even said she wants it. let her have what she buys and im sure shed MUCH rather have the new iphone for 2 years than paying the same for a used 3g from you and them being stuck with that for 2 years

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

4. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

Sorry I'm not sure I understand what this means...

And I wasn't really asking for ethical permission dukebound85 though I appreciate your concern. My mother is totally behind this idea.

The question is, will it work? Is there a possible technical hiccup that I'm not anticipating?

5. entity macrumors regular

I'd hate to be your kid LOL. It part of the parents job to make sacrafices, especially on technology! ;)

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No technical hiccups whatsoever as long as you do this:

Buy a 3GS on her line
    Go home, Activate (With HER SIM CARD)
    Put your SIM card in the 3GS- Activate through iTunes
    Put her SIM card that came with the 3GS into your 3G- Activate through iTunes

This shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes after you get home.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if shes behind your idea then go for it! i thought you were gonna ninja swtich them without her knowing

follow fireshot's steps and it will work

8. silvasp macrumors newbie

I cracked my screen today on my 3gs. I called the Apple store and told me it would be $199 to repair it. I asked what a NEW iPhone would cost. Darned if it wasn't $199... They told me it's AT&T's policy. I asked how much to cancel my contract. They told me it would be $150 to cancel it. I asked if that made sense to them. I could SAVE $50 if I cancel my AT&T contract and went to verizon!!! Businesses are so stupid sometimes. Instead of actually trying to keep my business, they actually make it EASIER to leave AT&T. Perhaps a trip to the Verizon store for a Droid is in order...

So... Here's my question;
    Can I buy a NEW 3GS at the discounted price of $199 and NOT activate it (and commit to ANOTHER 2 years) but just change the SIM card? Or do I need to get a Droid? If I'm going to spend $199 I'd just as soon a have a new phone.

9. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I hope that was a joke. I make my kids earn their unnecessary stuff... You know, teaching them responsibility, etc.

10. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I'm not so sure that it's the businesses that are stupid...first of all, the 199 replacement is a COURTESY that is offered to you by Apple. Secondly, cancelling your contract with ATT, getting a new phone on Verizon, that's another few hundred dollars.

You buy a heavily subsidized phone, break it, and when they don't give you a new one for nothing, you act all high and mighty like you're owed something. I'm thankful for the 199.

11. silvasp macrumors newbie

Either answer my question or please remain quiet. I did not ask for an opinion. It's a "COURTESY"?? How much of a "COURTESY" would it be if you're windshield on you car broke and the dealer wanted MSRP for the vehicle to replace it???

For everyone else...
    I'm not asking for a free phone. I would just like it repaired at a reasonable price. If that's unsuccessful, then another method of swapping SIMS would be considered if it's possible.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the discounted price only applies if you are up for an upgrade (aka after your 2 year commitment)

buuuut you do realize that if you pay the att etf of 150, the droid isnt free right? the droid is 200 itself ontop of a new 2 year contract that will have a 350 etf fee if you break it

its cheaper to
    1) fix your iphone
    2) buy a used phone and swap your sim

it is not cheaper to go to verizon by any means however

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes you should be able to swap any AT&T sim card in there once it's activated.

14. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

You do not have to ask for my opinion when you post yours in a public forum. You just didn't like it, there's a difference there. Also, I didn't call you a name...I just said you sucked. Which I believe is rather tame, considering you "want the phone repaired at a reasonable price" what is a reasonable price to you? Do you know how much the parts cost? Where to get them? How to install them? There's labor in that process.

The iPhone is worth...what, 700 dollars or so unsubsidized? Sure, it sucks that your screen broke, believe me, but I just believe your attitude is poor. What do you want them to do? You threaten to leave the company because you broke your screen, and it's cheaper to get out of the contract than it is to repair the phone? Are you insinuating that the ETF is too cheap? I can't see you logically arguing that point. They don't have to do anything for you, if it broke of your fault only. I feel for you that your phone broke, but that's life.

Also, I don't understand your question. No, you cannot buy a new 3GS for the contract price of 199.99. That's heavily subsidized, as ATT covers the other 500 or so because they'll make it up over the life of the contract.

So, no, you cannot scam ATT and Apple out of a "new" phone (especially since the refurb units are often of better quality than the "new" units)

15. silvasp macrumors newbie

Thanks for your civil answer. Yes, I understand that by going with another service it's going to cost more. But the only way we can tell the carriers we're unhappy with them is with our wallets. I am tired of the service (and customer service) provided by AT&T. I love the iPhone, but it's just about the final straw with AT&T.
    A used phone may be the way to go until my contract is up. Thanks for the response.

16. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

also, to clarify, that 199.99 price is for when you sign up for a new contract.

17. silvasp macrumors newbie

Thanks!

18. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

The funny thing is I considered doing this EXACT same thing when my dad got his. But then I started to listen to my conscious and just upgraded to the 3gs and extended my contract.:)

19. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Don't you love old threads that you posted in, but then totally forgot about, that get revived? :D

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, I just checked my parenting contract, and that is no where to be found!:p

21. schwell macrumors regular

The final straw was YOU breaking your iPhone. Don't blame AT&T for that.

Also your "businesses suck" line is ignorant.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why are you unhappy with AT&T though? Its not the carriers fault you broke your phone. They have rules and regulations they have to follow like every other business. Just because you got yourself in a jam and threaten to leave and go to Verizon they wont be like oh please stay we'll beg you. Its our fault you broke your phone and we'll give you another one at a subsidized price again so you dont leave. If that was the case they'd be losing money each time someone threatens to leave them. They have to go by the contract rules that you agreed to and signed.
    Why not do the right thing and take responsibility for your action and pay the price for your accident.
    Its not AT&T's fault or bad customer service if they dont tell you what you want to hear. They told you what your options are and paying an ETF was one of them along with paying Apple for a repair or replacement. AT&T has no controll over what Apple charges for that.
    You can find many places online that will replace the cracked glass cheaper than Apple. Maybe thats something to look into if you're comfortable with sending off your phone for a week or whatever long it takes.
    I still dont get how its AT&T's fault. Some people think they can argue and fight while they're in the wrong and they will get their way because they have the false sense of the saying "The Customer is always right"

23. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You do realize the MSRP for the iPhone 3GS is $599/699, not 199/299, right? The 199/299 figure is subsidized when you sign a new 2 yr contract.