Mom has separate AT&T Account - Can She Upgrade Her iPhone 5 & Give To Me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amitdoc2b, Sep 20, 2012.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

My mom is across the country using AT&T on a separate account than me and is eligible for an upgrade. She is happy with her flip phone though and has no interest in phones (just uses it as an emergency phone on a family plan with my dad and sis). She has given me permission as an authorized user to use her upgrade on her account to get an iPhone 5. When I get the iPhone 5 at an Apple Store under her account, can I just enter my phone number and activate the phone to my AT&T account? Or do I "have" to activate it using her number? But if I activate it using her phone number, won't her flip phone stop working and I'll still be unable to do a SIM-switch since its a nano simcard? Please guide me on how I can keep her flip phone to continue working and I can use my number on the iPhone 5 I'll get by using her upgrade eligibility. Thanks. :D

2. protobiont macrumors 6502a

That sounds rather tricky, if its even possible. My guess is that you won't be able to transfer to another account. They will expect her to be paying for a data plan over the next two years... You'd be better off just adding a line to her account.

3. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

I did this with my iPhone 4 and am doing it with the iPhone 5 (using my grandmother's upgrade who has a separate account). When the phone arrives you'll need to call AT&T CS and get them to activate the phone on your number. Just tell them something like "oh I bought it on eBay and want to make sure my number gets activated on the SIM and not the original number." They'll activate your number on it with no issues and your mom's account will be charged the upgrade fee and one month of data that can be cancelled since she'll still be using a flip phone.

4. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

As long as your Mom p[ays for the 2 year contract, she can do as she wishes with her new iPhone.

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone else.. seems to be some conflicting info...but I appreciate your input.

6. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

All she has to do is "upgrade" herself to the iPhone 5, then take the SIM out of it, give it to you, and get a new SIM for her dumbphone.

7. codybriana macrumors member

Having worked for At&t before, I can say that, yes, it will work.

1. Get your phone
    2. DONT TURN IT ON!!!!
    3. Collect the sim number and IMEI number of the new phone
    4. Call att and explain the situation (i believe they have a line set up specifically for the iphone 5.)

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

This makes no sense.

Since OP is an authorized user, he can go to his AT&T store or Apple store and use her line for the upgrade. Before even turning on the phone, they will activate the iPhone 5 sim with OP's number. That's it.

9. protobiont macrumors 6502a

I stand corrected. I wouldn't have thought it would be this easy, since she won't be paying for a data plan, but I guess as long as they get a new 2 year contract they don't care.

10. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

It would just be just like buying the phone off contract or second hand on ebay. There would be no problem with this.

11. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Zero problem. By the way, this is about the 278th NEW posting with this same issue. Probably a half dozen in the past day.

Mom does upgrade. She then gives phone to anyone she wants. In fact, she could throw it away.

You take Moms new phone and activate on YOUR account.

Mom has a 2 year contract to stay with ATT.

Go into store and it will be handled with no problem. Make sure you are an authorized user on her account in advance.

12. famous600, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

this post keeps getting posted because I dont think anyone truly understands the situation. I only know because I am in the same boat. I also have a seperate account from my mom and she is allowing me to use her upgrade at a local store also across the country. I can do this but CAN NOT have her current sim cards deactivated because then her lines across the country become worthless until she goes to another att store and gets new sim cards. For a non technical person this is a pain in the ass(whats a sim card?) I spoke with an att associate on att chat and several have said it is just fine to do just explain it to the att store. I even had her note my account because not all att reps are created equal!

Also be sure they DO NOT activate it on your moms account. The rep made this very clear as obviously her sims would be disabled. I recommend going to att.com and posing your question in a chat with a rep and have them NOTE your account so you dont stand in line at att store for nothing only to deal with a disabled rep.

13. Duardo macrumors member

I am getting the 5 using my father's upgrade.

All they (AT&T) said to do was call them, explain that the phone is a birthday present, and that you wish to activate it under this new line.

Should be rather simple, methinks.