Mom of 4 holds intruder at gunpoint for a terrifying 13 minutes until police arrive

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 5, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom...13-minutes-until-police-arrive-220537761.html
    13 minute response to a home invasion...........

2. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

These stories, obviously posted with the intent of trying to demonstrate the usefulness of private gun ownership, remind me of the stories about dolphins who lead those lost at sea to safety. You can’t really draw any conclusions from the data unless you know how many times dolphins also led those lost at sea away from land/ships before they drowned.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/...ot-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html
    YOU ARE on your own, like it or not.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

"Had she not had a gun and been ready to protect herself or call the neighbors, she might not be standing here," Melodie told the outlet.

Ummm she could have just bought a toy pistol and spray painted the orange tip black.

/s
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2019 ---
    It sure looks like her firearm saved her life, No?

6. macsmurf macrumors 65816

macsmurf

I wouldn't naturally conclude I was seconds away from being murdered just because I encountered an unarmed mentally disturbed intruder in my garage. I guess it's an American thing.

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Why is that when it comes to the gun ownership debate, people are either, "Guns for everyone" or "Guns for no one." I believe in guns for responsible owners only.
    In this case, the gun owners acted responsibly. No one got killed, no property damage. Sure it might have been 13 minutes of white knuckle terror for most involved. But it's a lot better than the psychological trauma the homeowner would have gone through had she shot and killed the intruder. And better for the intruder to not get shot. IMO, this was the best possible outcome because everyone involved kept a leveled head.

8. Altis macrumors 68030

The bigger story here is the contribution of the mini-pig, Milton. :D

9. kapolani macrumors 6502

Do you assume they are there for a hug and some milk and cookies?

You're not very smart if you think the situation is harmless.

Mother all alone with 4 children. If the mother were attacked and incapacitated then what would have happened to the children?

Maybe nothing, maybe something.

The question is - when you're alone and with your kids what decision do you make?

Mine is simple. Remove the threat. If I'm the only thing standing between some crazy and my children, crazy is going to get shot.

10. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I am not "Guns for everyone". Owning a firearm is a personal decision. However I would like to see mandatory firearms safety training in schools.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

Like the teenagers who walk into schools on a nearly daily basis and execute other children?

12. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

only the mothers care about most of the thugs who are shot and killed by other thugs. 100 Americans every day. how many can you list? how many are NOT gang members?

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Why don’t you list them? And then tell me why it’s ok, because you have your gun.

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1.here.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-killed-most-violent-weekend-2019/1334351001/
    MEDIA makes it a point to show you the innocent who die.
    2. it's not ok, but hood rats exterminating each other does not bother me.
    3. hey you have YOUR gun as well, if it makes you feel better then go ahead and turn in YOUR gun.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Obviously, our definition of responsible differ. Maybe I'm channeling Vizzini--I keep using a word that doesn't mean what I think it means.o_O I ask you this. Would you consider THAT teenager responsible enough to own a gun? I certainly don't.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

can teenagers legally own guns now? :rolleyes:

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Mama bear protecting the cubs...
    Maybe not murdered but there are many other far from enticing things that come to mind.
    Milk and cookies is not the first thing that comes to mind in a situation like that.;)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2019 ---
    One improvement: I think a home invasion should have a response time far quicker than what she was granted.