Momentus XT 320 Gb not detected by MacBook 13" unibody aluminium late 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by printcard, Oct 12, 2010.

1. printcard macrumors newbie

I'm trying to upgrade an aluminium unibody 13" macbook from a 250Gb FUJITSU drive to a Seagate Momentus XT 320Gb Hybrid drive. I've formatted the drive correctly and I swapped it, but when I restart with the installation disc inside it just won't show. When I selected the instalation disk and trying to lauch the install the system crashes and needs restart.

The drive worked just fine in an external enclosure but once I put it into the computer, it wasn't recognized and won't show up at all.

Any ideas what could be going wrong? Suggestions?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So, is the issue that the install disc crashes or what? Where does it crash? You could try SMC and PRAM reset to see if they help

3. printcard thread starter macrumors newbie

The install disk is ok. I tried with an USB install disk also. The Macbook is hang on startup just right after I select the installation disk. What is interesting is when I press the "alt" button for disk selection, when computer starts, only the installation disk appear on the screen. When I repeat the procedure with my old HDD both appear on the screen. The MacBook should be serial ATA compatible. Do you think is something related to the transfer rates? If I use the Seagate Momentus XT 320 Gb as an external drive it works perfectly.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would contact the seller, sounds the drive is bad.