Momentus XT 500 Failing Need New HD ASAP. Which to get? MBP 5,2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FunkTechNician, Feb 5, 2012.

1. FunkTechNician macrumors member

So I did a apple hardware test on my computer yesterday morning and then now my hard drive is saying Smart Status Failing Backup ASAP

I have Macbook Pro 5,2 2.93GHZ 8GB Ram Jan 2009

I have the 500 GB Momentus XT now and dont have time to wait for it to get fixed so i need to buy a new hard drive asap

Shipping takes a day or two at max to my house from new egg or amazon

I dont want to spend more than 500 if possible$

I need to have Bootcamp on the hard drive with at least 150GB for windows 7 ultimate x64

Plus like 250 for the Mac side

could i even get a decent SSD Drive for that price range to have enough space? or am i better off getting a 7200 Drive?

Im good with the speed of the XT i have but i dont want another failing drive. Installing all my programs on mac and windows over and over is annoying. So i need something that is going to have a nice life span

I bought the 500GB Momentus in May so it hasnt even been a year that its about to fail completely.

My Apple Care also expires on the 28th so i want to eliminate all problems possible and get the longest life out of the MBP i have.

Is the momentus XT 750 a Better Option?

I do nothing but video and audio editing and with High Def video so i need to be able to fit
    Adobe Master Collection and Final Cut Studio on the Mac side and a few Editing Tools for the windows side that i cant do on mac. So i need space for that stuff. I need to be able to play 720p-1080p videos without lag as well

The momentus i have now was playing fine before but lately its running like crap. which might be form failing.

If i got an SSD I need a 480GB at the least but dont think its in the budget

Rendering time is a huge thing for me.

sorry for so many questions just want to get the best thing i can for what i have

thanks

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

If you don't want to spend more than 500 dollars, you can get a 128gb SSD and a 500gb 5400rpm for your optibay. That would be cheap, but you'd lose your optical drive and would need a caddy and an external enclosure for your superdrive.

3. FunkTechNician thread starter macrumors member

Would that even be enough for the operating systems and programs? Seems like everything stored on the 5400 would run slow. I don't mind the super drive in an enclosure though

4. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Get the Momentus XT 750 HDD or a Crucial M4 SSD. The 512GB is about $140 over your budget though.

5. FunkTechNician thread starter macrumors member

6. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

This is strange i have the same hard drive as you in my macbook, that i gave to my wife bought it almost 2 years ago and never had an issue, must of just been a bad batch you bought from. I would suggest buying anything 7200 RPM I've never had an issue with them.

7. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I don't think you need worry about your next Momentus failing so soon. Like the other poster, that was likely a bad batch or was damaged. Those drives are generally regarded as very good. Read the reviews on Newegg for instance.

As for price/advantage of the SSD - it depends. Boot ups and program launches will be dramatically faster as well as photo/movie rendering etc. However, I actually did a back of the envelope calculation and realized that it would only make economic sense (in time saved) if I was making $300 per hour :eek:.

8. FunkTechNician thread starter macrumors member

i ended up buying the 750 and got it in the mail last night. want to do a fresh install.

im currently running snow leopard but have lion was curious if i should re install snow leopard or do a fresh install of lion if its possible and will i have any problems with Final Cut Studio for instance DVD Studio Pro i need the most

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the failing Momentus is only that old, you could possibly have it replaced under warranty. The only way Seagate will replace it is if their own SeaTools detects the drive as bad. You'll likely get a refurbished drive, but it'd still be better than having a dead drive.

10. FunkTechNician thread starter macrumors member

yes it does come up under their software. im just gonna give the replacement to my girlfriend to put in her mac and have more space with the 750