Momentus XT Hybrid 500GB in a MBP 13" Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Has anyone placed a Seagate momentus XT Hybrid 500GB drive in the newer MBP 13' models. How was the performance.

Price per GB is too much for me to go full SSD because I need 500GB just about, and those drives are over the $1,000.00 mark, just not worth it since I will only get Disk time performance, not CPU.

2. Tabris82 macrumors member

Tabris82

I have this drive in my 15" and I have to say that it runs smooth as anything. Be sure to update the firmware before installing though. I have heard of issues with the firmware it ships with.

3. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

How can you tell what the FW version is, I have one in my Mini, but I never thought of even checking it because it works perfect?

4. mugtastic macrumors regular

mugtastic

about this mac -> more info -> serial-ATA -> revision sd??

just updated the one in my white macbook. love the drive, definite performance bump from 500gb 5400rpm wd drive.

updated firmware from sd23 to the most current sd25. supposedly firmware from before sd24 caused the drive to never stop spinning.

to update on mac you download a disk image, burn it to cd, boot from it and choose update. worked fine for me.