Money not that big of an issue......but i still want a macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solaris7, Aug 5, 2008.

1. solaris7 macrumors regular

Hello! I am planning to keep my laptop for the full four years of my university. I have narrowed my choices down to the macbook pro or the macbook(black). I was set on the macbook pro until i read about the "dents and the scratches". I don't want to take EXCESSIVE care of my laptop(or have to constantly worry about it), I will probably put it into my bag in some padded sleeve, but still, i heard that even if u place it onto some uneven surface, the Al casing scratches easily and that even a bump might cause a large dent. I will be living in a dorm not far from my university so i won't be battling through the subway crowd or anything.
    However, if i do buy the macbook, i feel that i can buy a lot more "extras", like good ear phones, ipod dock, the 32GB ipod touch etc.. However, with the macbook pro and the added tax, i would be bit reserved when buying anything extra other than the case and the 16GB model of the ipod touch.
    I will be using the laptop for general use and programming(not anything graphic intensive) so i value the larger screen. An external monitor is out of the question as my present dorm does not exactly have the biggest of desks.
    Also, i don't usually keep a lot of windows open as i use tabs more often, even then, i think spaces would do wonders. So, i am wondering if the extra screen estate is something i need and be comfortable with.
    This laptop will be my only computer that HAS to last for my full 4 years. So which should i choose? Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Also, I have no intentions of waiting for the update.

2. BileGhost macrumors member

I maye be mistaken, but I believe the black version of the macbook comes with a scratchproof surface? My white macbook has scratches all over it, but only if you look closely... Oh and some cracked plastic, but thats a design fault and therefore covered under waranty...
    Oh and as far as spaces go, I prefer expose, but eithers good.

3. kmarketing macrumors 6502

I'd go with a pro for you, but you may want to wait if you can as the line is due for an update.

But for the larger screen, I think macbook pro all the way.

You can get a nice hardshell for it, which will allow you some piece of mind for those dings and dents from carrying it around. A drop though would destroy it with or without the hardshell. Then again, the same goes for a macbook.

The aluminum is really nice!

4. munckee macrumors 65816

I'm gonna disagree with the above. Unless the difference in monitor size is going to cause a HUGE issue, it sounds like you're pretty good at managing your desktop (and spaces will help drastically). Seems like you're leaning pretty heavily toward the macbook, which is a solid machine (I've used two for graphic work for the last 18 months - 1 at home, 1 at work).

That said, I think you're being a little overly cautious about the aluminum design of the pro. I've owned a couple of aluminum powerbooks and haven't had the slightest problem. Be reasonable careful and use a sleeve, you should be fine.

Something else to keep in mind - if you can wait a little while, there's supposedly aluminum macbooks coming out. If you still want to steer clear of aluminum then, it might provide a great opportunity to grab a blackbook at reduced cost.

5. jroller macrumors regular

I've owned a couple of Powerbooks and now a MBPro: the aluminum case is NOT an issue in my experience. However, the iBook I had ended up with a significant crack in the case. I think the aluminum cases are a better choice.

Also, screen space can be an issue, but you are right; if you are comfortable with Spaces, which I love in a production environment (I don't use it for day-to-day home use, for some reason), then the issue is lessened.

On the one hand, getting the MB offers you the chance to get some bonus extras. On the other, I think the MBPro is a better machine in the long run.

It's a tough call, but, for you, I would recommend the MB, mainly because you have your eye on the extras you could get. If those aren't important to you, go for the MBPro.

6. okayjustin macrumors member

I have the black macbook. It looks beautiful. It does everything pretty much the lower end MBP can do besides the dedicated graphics card that you said shouldn't be much of a problem. I had the same problem as you (or situation) for the bigger screen but I've learned through experience that I've enjoyed having something as portable as the blackbook and something that looks just as beautiful. Besides, you can also eventually connect it to an external widescreen for something beautiful, and have something really portable on the go. And you get the extras too. More intensive graphic stuff can wait at least until the new MBPs come out. I don't know if I will sell my blackbook when the new MBP's come out. I want it to be a significant difference in specs and design because I'd have to shell out probably another $1100 to afford it since the blackbooks resale value is somewhere around 1100-1300 (depends). If I do sell it, it needs to be BIG and worthwhile of the money since I'm in debt from loans and credit cards. (I'm a second year university student)

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think it comes down to screen size vs portability. I had a 15" MBP and loved it. Now I have a Blackbook and of course I love it. I love the 13" portability but miss the 15" screen. About extras, I have $100 sony earbuds but almost never use them 'cause I like the apple ones, I have a dock but it is in a drawer 'cause it takes up space on my desk but I certainly recommend at least 32 gb ipod.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No dents unless you drop it. As to scratches, it's like a car. If you are really careful it won't happen.

Portability? I have a 17" iPod otherwise known as the MBP. 17" MBP weights the same as many 15" PC laptops (translation, not heavy if you are in shape).