Money saving Apps, money making apps.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Feb 20, 2012.

1. PracticalMac, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

What apps can one load that can help save money, even make money (pay for cost of iPhone!).
    Please note how in ().

Some I can think of:

Barcode scanners, Redlaser being the most popular one I think (Scan item, most times gives list of prices at various locations)

CheapGas / GasBuddy (lists local gas station prices)

Grupon (big discounts the second they are offered, mobile version very handy)

Restaurant loyalty apps (gives discounts for frequent visits)
    Carl's Jr / Hardee's (all over US)
    Bluwater Fish Place (only far SW Houston, TX area)​

What else out there? Save or Make $$

EDIT:
    Some news articles for money making/saving apps
    http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/money/consu...ney/6-smartphone-apps-that-can-earn-you-money

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/consumer&id=8718457

2. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Anyone else find something?

And why do people vote it down?
    Shoot it down but no reason why....

Couple of candidates:

"Save Money" (dubious, as it is only a collection of tips/advice)

"Free App Finder" and "Free App List" (alters you when an app goes free. Useful if a useful app)

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There are those silly apps that give you something like one tenth of a cent for watching a 30 second commercial. My recommendation is to just get a job. ;)

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That's why I lead the title with money saving apps.

And these days a lot of people are counting pennies and finding other sources of income.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You can save a lot of pennies by dropping your smartphone too. ;)

6. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yes, you can do that, just like dropping your car and getting a roommate.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

8. lordofthereef, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My point CLEARLY was that if you are needing to save money through apps, maybe you don't have the money to spend on a cell phone bill. :) But hey, if you ARE that hard up for money, you probably will save a lot more by dropping your car and getting a roommate than you would off of money saving/making apps.

I agree about the roommate comments. In most cities though, you pretty much need a car to live. At least in the US.

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Consider that an iPhone provides dozens of time saving features (maps, contacts linked to various functions, email in palm of hand, organizer, camera), one is already benefiting from simply having a smartphone.

Put it this way, get rid of YOUR smartphone. How much more time will it take to replicate all the functions of "all in one" smartphone?

If I was really hard pressed for, the LAST thing I would drop is a smartphone. That is what a co-worker did. Only thing he has is a smartphone.

So, now how can a hard pressed person take this wonderful tool and save more money, or even earn some? You mention one about getting paid to see ads? what is it?

Starbuck's app has loyalty credits (although this is one I would not use if hard pressed ;) )

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The average person doesn't need any of this. These are all luxuries for most. Let's go down your list:

Maps :Luxury, unless you drive for a living. You can also get this on a GPS unit, which has a one time fee, not monthly
    Contacts: Had this in my old flip phone
    Email: Another luxury, unless you do business on your phone (most don't)
    Organizer: Again, luxury
    Camera: Luxury for just about everyone

Is all of this handy? You bet! I am much happier with a smartphone than I was before. But, I also think I would be happier with a sportscar than the sedan I drive. I buy and pay for the things for which I have the means.

I am just saying that if you are looking to make more money by some smartphone app, you will literally make more in savings by cutting your entire smartphone bill.

As for the app in question, I honestly don't remember the name. It's something I came across at one point.

The starbucks app is something we do use. Unless you are the person that drinks two cups a day (sadly there are people that hemorrhage money on coffee like that), it's not going to do a whole lot for you. You have to buy 30 drinks, after which a counter will start. Every ten drinks after that you get a free coffee. So once you have averaged about 3 drinks a month over the year, you see a (very small) reward). You also get a free brewed coffee for every pound of beans you buy.

11. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Okay seriously, he's just asking about any apps that save money. No need to go off on him...I find this thread really interesting and would love to see if other people know of other apps. Besides the ones that help to save money on discounted apps, I don't really know of any.

DON'T get the gilt.com app because it's definitely the best way to lose money on awesome clothes haha. Although I guess you're theoretically saving hundreds of dollars on designer clothing, so it could be in the category of apps you're talking about.

12. k3roro macrumors 6502

Money Saving Apps:

Back in Black.

I've honestly been sticking to the budget I've made and saved money.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

My favorite money saving "app" is to live within your means. Don't carry a balance on credit card, don't spend more than you earn, don't rush out to buy the latest electronic whatever.

14. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

70 years ago the CAR was luxury
    60 years Television was luxury
    50 years ago the Credit Card was luxury
    40 years ago Computer was luxury
    30 years ago Pager was luxury
    20 years ago Broad band internet was luxury
    10 years ago Cell phone was luxury.

Now, you pretty much fell flat with this argument:
    1. You don't need Cellular internet to use GPS, nor WiFi (but do need one to load local maps).
    2. For $0.99 you can get GPS software which will load the local maps, don't need 3G or WiFi at all.
    3. Being hard pressed for money usually means looking for job, and finding job prospect is extremely useful.
    4. GPS units do cost $100 and up, and may need to be updates every couple of years (cost $19~39)
    5. Sell the GPS becuase you need the money, keep the smartphone.

15. lordofthereef, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

lordofthereef

See my responses in bold. What were luxuries so long ago, pretty much still are, with the exception of the car, for most people (I make my claims for the US only). There are plenty of GPS units that provide free updates, as direct competition to the cell phone market. I don;t think the fact that the iPhone GPS apps don't necessarily use data holds any water. My point was that you are still paying the extra money for the data plan just to be able to own the phone (unless of course your argument is buying an iPhone or other smartphone and using it solely as a GPS unit). Even if I am paying for updates yearly, I'd be willing to bet a year's salary that I could do it cheaper with a flip phone and a stand alone GPS unit.

This whole thing seems to have turned into a "you prove your points and I'll prove mine". I was merely trying to point out that dropping a ~$100/mo smartphone bill would get you farther than saving a buck (or making a buck) here or there with apps. You would basically have to be saving/making $70+ per month (this number comes from subtracting the average cost for "minutes only" plans that I found doing a quick search) from these apps to "break even". That's a lot of extra work, thus negating all of the "time saved" using your fancy smart phone features IMO. I still stand by my opinion that if you are looking for revenue generating apps, the best revenue you can generate is to stop paying your smartphone bill.

To me, the fact that nobody has really chimed in here pointing out the plethora of wonderful apps that bring in money also speaks wonders for my argument. The ones that do exist, probably aren;t worth your time.

16. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

(Note, made a couple of changes very soon after my post after some reconsideration).

You utterly miss my point, every item I posted was a luxury, but are now commodities, and some necessary.

At one time CC's where not free, it was for the elite.
    TV is still one of the best sources of information (news, documentaries, science, even specials on whatever).

If your cell is out of contract, you are not forced to have data.
    Even if you do not have cell service, your cell is a portable computer, just find WiFi.

Finding work: Dude, apparently you don't know that many people. I can count a dozen people who would be utterly lost without a GPS.

To Reiterate:
    Co worker lives entirely on Cell phone.
    No broadband internet ($60/mo)
    No land telephone ($40/Mo)
    No computer ($21/mo, prorated)
    Cost of electricity for internet and computer add up quite a bit too, maybe $1/mo

Finally: To call a computer a luxury today is, well, one can say heresy. Yes, in Africa, it is not that useful, but then again a CAR is still a luxury in most parts.

17. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Don't laugh I made a whole dollar yesterday :eek:

18. lordofthereef, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

lordofthereef

Please explain what about a computer is a necessity in the average household and I will be glad to take back my previous statement.

----------

I know plenty of people. It's very sad that you know a dozen people who can't function without a GPS. What did they do ten years ago? Sit in their living rooms and watch paint dry? Not so long ago you could, I don't know, get out of your car at a gas station and ask for directions. Strangly, it still works! And vefore you go thinking I am some old coot bitter about tech, I am 26. I love my tech, my cell phone, my gps. It makes life easier. No doubt about that. But they are far from necessities.

----------

If you are going to make this argument, buy an iPod touch and be done with it. By the way, what cell company allows you to remove data from your smartphone after you are off contract? I don't know of one, at least not the big players (ATT, VZW, Sprint).

----------

That's pretty good. How much time did you spend doing it?

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

Not true if you have a smartphone. All smartphones, especially iPhones, require a data plan, whether you are in contract or out.

20. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Took me a while to write this up, and is chunky….

Granted one can survive without a computer with internet, but then one (who does not need car for work) can get around town without a car.

Via a combination of foot, bus (or taxi, some places bicycle), I can get transportation from the suburbs to downtown. It will cost me significantly more time, and money (and if have to do daily, more then owning an old car).

An Internet connected computer will let me access my banking, CC, utilities, investments, other life necessary data. In fact many institutions are now offer incentives to go paperless (save $). If one did not have that source they could call each company to learn how much money they have in account, or what their CC balance is. One can wait for the statements and keep track bills, but that really slow updates.
    Oh, and one needs a telephone.

Speaking of statements, we don’t need eMail either. Use the good old, tried and tested, USPS Mail service! Only 49 cents a letter! (I think, I use Forever Stamps, which I bought years ago)

In all cases the issue is time. It takes much more time to move around town and get information with out a car and Internet.

Time = Money is a universal law discovered by Einstein (I know, not Einstein)

So, we have a person looking for a job, looking in papers (which he has to buy) at want ads. Writes up a resume by hand (pretty sure the HR person will have a great laugh). Looks on the map for location of places to go, check bus schedule…OK, he has car, so maps best route, hoping he will not hit traffic or construction. Lunch comes so he pays full price for it, not realizing there is an online coupon. Checks maps again for next place but misses his turn.

Lets assume the above scenario, besides a car also has a Cell phone paying $39/mo (average Land Line is $35/mo, $5 more is small price).

Now, for $20/mo more he adds a 200mb data plan (T-mo) with a FREE smart phone:
    Using a local Wi-Fi a quick search online reveals a few job prospects, he opens and modifies his resume for the prospects (printing or emailing them as needed), using the Cell GPS (with traffic, most stand alone GPS do not have or must pay for traffic) get to locations quickly, do most of list. For lunch find some specials/coupons. While eating do another search and find more prospective jobs. Again open the base resume, modify, send on their way (or print at FedEx Office).

Of course Ditch Diggers likely will not have any use for a computer and internet, but (no offence) they might not speak English too.

21. lordofthereef, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

lordofthereef

My answer to everything you just said: Public libraries. You can look for work, print (usually for free or a nominal fee), and even check email. Again, having it at home is a convenience, not a necessity.

Also, for things like the resume, a smart phone isn't enough. Am I wrong?

You mentioned time is money... I agree... that has been my point all along. You are going to spend more time than it's worth watching silly ads to make money through an app. If you need, get a second part time job. Working an extra 5-10 hours a week is going to net you far more profit for time spent than a bunch of iPhone ever could. If a good app existed, I am sure we would have heard of it by now. We are bumping this thread enough with this silly back and forth. :p

22. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

@lordofthereef

FFS, if you ask any successful businessman, I guarantee they would all say to pinch a penny where you can (within reason of course).

Things like, getting clothes / groceries from cheaper stores, hunting around for gas prices (which the OP has mentioned), getting free apps when on other days you would have to pay etc. It all adds up!

Just because you don't believe you need to save a penny here and there (which is ironic because you criticize people for puchasing a 'luxury' when you have no idea about their financial situation), it doesn't mean that other people aren't interested.