Monitor died, tempted over to imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rivercottage, Nov 30, 2009.

1. rivercottage macrumors member

Dec 28, 2006
    Hiya guys.

I've been using a macbook pro 2.16 core2duo for three years for my work. Design / web etc.

I hook it upto a dell external monitor at the office and use onsite at a couple of clients.

Yesterday my Dell 20" monitor died after a good few years of great service.

Its time to upgrade.

I will need a monitor so am tempted into getting the 27" imac, the fact that this will just be at the office and not at home kills me.

If I get a new macbook pro, I will screw the battery again as I always use plugged in. - if I did I'd get a 24" view sonic screen.

So options, Get 27" imac for office, wipe current macbook pro clean and use on client sites / home if needed (use mobile me for file storage / sharing)

Get a new macbook pro (probably the small one) and a viewsonic 24", screw the battery and have a left over laptop.

Any ideas, suggestions? Would love to hear from anybody who works in an office and at home and how they manage file management / sharing between the two.

Sorry for the rant, struggling resisting the pull of the imac.

Have fantastic days!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

Mar 3, 2006
    You don't have to screw the battery, nor pay attention to it. Go to the hardware store and pick up an on-off timer. You know, the cheesy $5 ones for the holiday lights. Use that to power-cycle your MBP's battery, essentially setting it to plugging and un-plugging the computer each day for you. Fancy-pants models even have two cycles of on-off so you can run it on-for-6, off-for-6 twice a day.