Monitor died, tempted over to imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rivercottage, Nov 30, 2009.

1. rivercottage macrumors member

Hiya guys.

I've been using a macbook pro 2.16 core2duo for three years for my work. Design / web etc.

I hook it upto a dell external monitor at the office and use onsite at a couple of clients.

Yesterday my Dell 20" monitor died after a good few years of great service.

Its time to upgrade.

I will need a monitor so am tempted into getting the 27" imac, the fact that this will just be at the office and not at home kills me.

If I get a new macbook pro, I will screw the battery again as I always use plugged in. - if I did I'd get a 24" view sonic screen.

So options, Get 27" imac for office, wipe current macbook pro clean and use on client sites / home if needed (use mobile me for file storage / sharing)

or

Get a new macbook pro (probably the small one) and a viewsonic 24", screw the battery and have a left over laptop.

Any ideas, suggestions? Would love to hear from anybody who works in an office and at home and how they manage file management / sharing between the two.

Sorry for the rant, struggling resisting the pull of the imac.

Have fantastic days!

:)

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You don't have to screw the battery, nor pay attention to it. Go to the hardware store and pick up an on-off timer. You know, the cheesy $5 ones for the holiday lights. Use that to power-cycle your MBP's battery, essentially setting it to plugging and un-plugging the computer each day for you. Fancy-pants models even have two cycles of on-off so you can run it on-for-6, off-for-6 twice a day.