monitor to do extended monitoring on my MBP: 20 inch wide Samsung or Dell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mark2288, Apr 5, 2007.

1. mark2288 macrumors regular

So I want to hook up a nice 20 inch widescreen monitor so that I can do some work, watch TV (eyeTV hybrid) from my MBP...i've look at several models:

Samsung 20 wide:

Dell 20 inch wide

I also came up this nice looking 22 inch widescreen from Dell, which isn't too much more expensive than the 20 inch-ers I've been looking at....would anyone recommend this behemoth over the others?

Dell 22 inch

basically, has anyone had any experience with any of these monitors? pros, cons? and is the $50-ish dollar price difference from the dell 20 to the dell 22 worth it???

2. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

22" Dell is stupid, it has a low resolution compared to the 20" Dell. Size does not matter, it is RESOLUTION that is important.

I would rather use my MacBook Pro at 1400x900 than a 60" plasma with an 800x600 resolution.

Think about it.

3. paulpratt macrumors newbie

if you can get this one:

Dell 2007 20" LCD

It uses the same panel as the Apple 20" monitor. It might even be a newer generation too. I've got the 2407 and never looked back. Look into refurbished units too. More bang for the buck.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd get the Samsung over that Dell monitor. That Dell is crap in every way. I don't know about the Samsung, but since it can't be worse than the Dell 20" E207, I'd take the risk and go for it despite not knowing anything about it.

Does it really? Some of the ones they make have an S-PVA, and some are S-IPS. Since Apple only sells monitors with S-IPS LCD panels, I don't think you can say what you said. Even then, I'm not even sure if the S-IPS panel used in the Dell is the same as in the Apple LCD.

I have the 20" Dell with S-IPS panel and am very happy. :) I do photography, though, so the LCD panel type is important to me, while things like response time don't matter as much. If I didn't care about colour accuracy, I think the typical LCD monitor with fast response time would be a better choice. The Dell 24" is a good example of that. It's not good for colour accurate work (anything print), but hey......it's not a bad monitor spec-wise.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yes, it is. IF you get one with an S-IPS panel. It's made by LG, and is the same as the ACD. I have one of those, and went through some procedure to find the panel's model/serial number and check it when I first bought it.

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The Dell 20" is a lottery. You might get lucky and well... you might not. The 22" is very low quality with it being a TN panel, but for your uses that is fine.

eddx, or course resolution is important. But the 22" is working at the same res as the 20", you just have two more inches. Pixel density is altered by much.

For what you are doing, the 22inch would be great. Unless you are doing work that requires color accuracy, etc. And the dell looks better than that Samsung :)

7. dailo macrumors regular

I hook up a Dell 24" to my MBP and it looks great. Not as nice as an apple display of course, but for a fraction of the cost no complaints here! Definately worth the money.