Monogamous marriage is a hold over of a by gone religious age.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DearthnVader, Jul 16, 2016.

1. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

I mean really people should be able to enter into the legal contract of marriage with as many people at a time as they want. What right does the Government have to tell us who we can and can't marry.

The whole idea of monogamous marriage comes from our Judeo Christian founding, it is rooted in the Bible. I mean there is supposed to be a separation of church and state in this country.

Other religions and cultures allow for plural marriage, what about our freedom of religion.

It's high time for the tyranny to stop.

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    At first, I agreed with you, but then I thought about the effort it'd take to do my taxes in a polygamous marriage, and suddenly got real religious.

3. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors regular

DearthnVader

LOL

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Plus too many cultures would abuse it for suppressive purposes.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Possibly, yeah.

I'm not against the idea from a moral standpoint. The problem is, western civilization has monogamous marriages so deeply ingrained within its fabric, from our social aspects, to government issues, that it's not something you could just change overnight without screwing up a billion and one things off to the side.

6. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors regular

DearthnVader

So you only support things principles like freedom of religion and the separation of church and State when it is in your interests to do so.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so? enter in legal contracts signed by lawyers and be as miserable or as happy as you wish, what's the problem?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 16, 2016 ---
    you DON'T have to call your legal contracts "marriage", nothing is stopping you from practicing what you preach.

8. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors regular

DearthnVader

People deserve equal justice under law, everyone is entitled to the same equal standing under law, marriage, you can't carve out special rule, tax breaks, etc for monogamous peoples and not afford it to everyone who want's to enter into that same Government contract.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you are correct, but as said nothing is currently stopping you from entering legal binding contracts with others, you simply won't get the benefits from it other than the eternal hell you put yourself into :D

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

I think you should be able to marry as many people as you want, but only one of them can be the legal government one which gives you the tax benefits, etc. The others can be done as basic contracts between two people or ceremonial such as a church wedding.

The reason for only one legal government marriage is because of the complexity of dealing with plural marriages when any sort of legal issue or figuring out tax deals.

11. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Well you can name a legal executor, and the Government allows tax credits for more than one child, so how hard can it be.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It isn't so much that it's not in my interest, so much as something you can't just allow without first considering the broader picture.

I would say make it merely ceremonial, but you'd still have to consider situations where you have your 15 kids living in the same house with you and your 15 wives. Issues of inheritance could become a legal hellhole for everyone involved if you were to die without writing a very, very specifically detailed will.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you can already claim the kids you support in your taxes & get credit for that.

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

I can't argue specifically against it, but I think that it would get get far too complicated to deal with on a broad scale, and thus legal marriage is between two people.

I do not even begin to understand how tyranny applies. That's pretty far out there.

15. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Laws would have to be written, I thought that's what we paid the Government for, no wait their too busy worrying about what pee parts you have so they can tell you what restroom to use, here in , NC.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the Tyranny is not giving credits for the kids AND the extra wives. :p

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Not really. For one thing the bible has numerous instances of polygamy. Yes you could point out that that is in the Old Testament, but there is nothing definitive in the New Testament to contradict that. Plus Jews don’t follow the NT anyway!

Another problem with this theory is that monogamy is commonly practiced in countries where Judeo-Christian religions have never been prevalent.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

is monogamy really practiced? plenty are cheating on each other left & right, so yeah they are only married to one person, but many are being polyamorous sometimes with the spouses consent :eek:

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Quite a few of them, actually. Think of the statutes required for the law to fairly encompass a man with 5 wives, each with husbands of their own concerning rights of taxes and inheritance. From a purely legal perspective, it's a massive cluster****.

20. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Fornication—anything outside marriage between man and wife—is a sin that Christ condemned.

It should be punished severely by long prison sentences or worse.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what is one of those wives then want an extra husband? why should HE get all the fun & her just 1/5 the sausage?

22. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Only if they are you legal dependents, as defined by the tax code.

What's complicated is keeping a relationship like that together. We're supposed to be free, not you're free as long as it doesn't complicate things for the Government. The Middle East, that's complicated, and our Government is all up in that.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's funny you want the freedom granted by the GOVT :D

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's pretty much what I was addressing. Men and women both would be allowed to have as many husbands and wives as they want to be legal by current standards of law. So you could have 6 wives, who each have 20 husbands between them. You're but one sausage among many.

How would you deal with that from a legal standpoint? Who gets what when someone dies? How do you handle taxes for this likely ever expanding marriage group? Would this group have a single joint bank account?

25. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors regular

DearthnVader

You are aware of the separation of church and State.