Monoprice TPU style case pics and first impressions. Spoiler-it's better than Belkin

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by h00ligan, Jul 15, 2010.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I had a Belkin Grip Vue and returned it for 3 reasons. Fit, Flash, and price.

The monoprice case costs $1.44 and is available (out of stock as of this post) here. The Belkin costs $30! and can be bought all over.

The quick summary:
    It fits better than the Belkin. It's slightly less rigid case wide, the buttons are much easier to push. It has the same issue as the Belkin with having one area (the last to go on) that fits slightly loose. A quick partial fix is to nuke these cases for about 5-8 seconds in the microwave and put them on while warm. Because of the expansion the loose fit is spread throughout the entire case - making it much less of an issue. Again, Belkin had this issue worse with the grip vue. There are less visible seams on the Monoprice case vs the Belkin. The Belkin had a really horrible seam that was a glob of plastic at the bottom. Here are some pics (sorry, light was limited so they are a bit noisy).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like the Belkin - the case creates a 'wet' look. I didn't own the belkin long enough, this one just arrived, to know if that ever goes away. I'm guessing no?

[​IMG]

This case seems to have less effect on the flash, but I'll have to do some testing and post back results. It's the smoke case - maybe that's why.

Overall first impression. This is a great inexpensive case for those who like TPU or anyone looking for an interim until more choices arrive. It doesn't hurt at all to use it for a month then chuck it due to the inexpensive price. It is in my estimation an improvement over the Belkin and costs 1/15 the price.

2. reliantj macrumors 6502

i've purchased a few tpu cases on ebay. some winning at 0.06.
    these are by far better to use than belkin's tpu case. i just don't like the watermarking on your picture haha.

3. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Yah, the Belkin did that too. I have two more cheapie tpu cases coming soon from ebay - interested to see if that happens with them too. Even the heavier frosting on the belkin didn't resolve it... I agree - it's annoying and ugly.

4. r3b37 macrumors newbie

I have 2 of these getting delivered today. Thanks for the review. I do not care about the water mark that much... I am very happy to note that they fit tightly.

5. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

The microtrick does help, they fit pretty much the same as the Belkin..i put the volume button side on last to avoid the gap.

Glad the review may have been helpful!

6. dirkph macrumors member

7. hahaland macrumors newbie

Do you mind posting the ebay link to your case? I gave up after going through several thousands of them:eek:

8. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

9. dirkph macrumors member

Ahh, thank you. Are you posting it up on that site or on the forum? Thanks. There's one positive review there already... I might give it a shot since it's so cheap.

10. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

If you can afford an iPhone why bother with these cheap cases? And yes they are cheap in quality. I think your iPhone deserves better :)

12. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Because value is relevant?

This Monoprice TPU case is BETTER than the one that costs 15-20x more than it.

Also, it's nice to know you could have a bunch of different colors should you desire them, without going broke.

Affording the iphone is fine, but paying $30 for a piece of formed plastic is retarded.

13. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

lightyly dust the case with baby powder to get rid of the nasty watermarking issue

14. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Hey thanks cynikal! I'll have to hit my ladies cabinet up as I don't regularly stock that :)

15. Evolesque macrumors member

well I have to admit if the goal is just to have something protect the phone, then the monoprice tpu certainly seems like a fantastic deal. I don't think I can deal with the water marking on the back though. I assume the monoprice case doesn't have the frosted back correct? I like the price but I rather pay for the belkin tpu just because at least with the frost, it's uniform. Please let us know if the back sorts itself out. Also I've included a pick of my back with the belkin. No water marking at all.

Attached Files:

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Where would one buy this on ebay?

17. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

One would buy the case at monoprice - I have no idea who may carry it on ebay.

@evolesque - That's interesting as the belkin I had showed the same watermarking despite the 'frosting', it also didn't fit properly around the phone - I wonder what would happen if the tpu case met a dremmel for a minute :/ I haven't been able to try the baby powder fix yet.. but I'm wondering if one every so slightly buffed the case.. what would happen... at the price it is - I may just try that - heh. Dremmel would be overkill, but a slight scuff with some fine sand paper might do the trick.

BTW, I am surprised to say, i don't see flash interference with this case, i've tested it about 6 times off and on. Fwiw.