Montana GOP candidate accused of assaulting reporter on eve of special election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, May 24, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

2. jpietrzak8, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017

jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

It does sound like the reporter was being a pest and getting in Gianforte's face, but yeah, I don't think that was the most appropriate way to deal with the situation...

EDIT: Now more than twelve hours later, it does sound like the reporter was blameless in this encounter, and Gianforte had snapped for some other reason. So allow me to amend my previous statement: I no longer believe the reporter was "being a pest". Just wanted to mention that, as several people have commented on my post.

3. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't think the reporter was being aggressive at all. And to have the candidate say he was getting sick of reporters, well um, what does he think is waiting for him in the halls of congress should he win? It ain't all sugar and rainbows.

And even worse..to snap on the eve of an election? Seriously what is wrong with him? Who does that? While in the job interview process one is supposed to be on their best behavior, not show their temper and assault someone.

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The audio doesn't really provide enough data on what the reporter was doing for us to draw any real conclusions.

5. MadeTheSwitch, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017

MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah it does. He was asking him a question. You know....his job.

Also a very mild mannered reporter. You can hear in his voice afterwards how shook up he was when asking for names of the witnesses. Meanwhile you could hear how aggressive the candidate was, yelling and carrying on telling him "the last guy did the same damn thing", "get the hell out of here." The campaign claims that the reporter was asked to lower the tape recorder which I do not hear being asked in the audio tape.

Now really, which one sounds agressive here? I say the candidate. I honestly cannot think of a single good reason to react this way no matter what the reporter might have done, can you? The bottom line is that this candidate has refused to answer the question as to if he would have voted for the new GOP healthcare bill or not. So clearly he had a major reaction when being asked about today's CBO scoring of the bill. Which was a valid question to ask of the candidate by the way.
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2017 ---

UPDATE:

Wow.....

For anyone on the right trying to paint this as something different than what it already seemed like, here's a Fox News reporter's eyewitness account:

And here's the really important part:
    So, in other words, a one way aggressive assault by the GOP candidate that even Fox News is reporting.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-gop-house-candidate-body-slam-reporter.html

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

7. darksithpro macrumors regular

Even conservative FOX NEWS corroborates the Guardian reporters take of events. Thumbs up to FOX News for being honest about this event.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-gop-house-candidate-body-slam-reporter.html

"At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter. As Gianforte moved on top of Jacobs, he began yelling something to the effect of, "I'm sick and tired of this!"

Jacobs scrambled to his knees and said something about his glasses being broken. He asked Faith, Keith and myself for our names. In shock, we did not answer. Jacobs then said he wanted the police called and went to leave. Gianforte looked at the three of us and repeatedly apologized. At that point, I told him and Scanlon, who was now present, that we needed a moment. The men then left.

8. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Audio recordings don't do any justice in this day and age. What was needed was a Portrait Mode iPhone Video of Incrimination! :p

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

10. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Candidate is now being charged with misdemeanor assault according to sheriff (who ironically donated money to his campaign but said that would have no bearing) .

It will be interesting to see if this has any effect on the election at all. He might still win the election, but he also might be sentenced up to six months in jail if convicted. How can he serve as a lawmaker when he broke the law on the eve of his election?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/...tana-republican-body-slams-reporter.html?_r=0

11. darksithpro macrumors regular

He obviously has to work on his violent impulses. If he cannot control his temper, then he shouldn't be elected for office.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

You have no idea what this or other reporters had been doing to him previously. The reporter could have been "breaching the peace" of this guy.

13. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

His President already paved the way for this precedent. That's how. ;)

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Does it hurt or help his election bid? People hate the press.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The speaker is Greg Gianforte, a conservative billionaire whose philanthropic endeavors include funding museums whose purpose is to discredit Darwinism and persuade visitors that the Earth is 6,000 years old, that North America’s geology was carved by Noah’s flood, and that dinosaurs coexisted with early humans.

To say the least, Gianforte is an odd choice to address an audience of young men and women who are embarking on careers in the earth sciences, many as mining and petroleum engineers. On the day Gianforte speaks, these graduates will be ending four years of studying how the Earth, and everything in it, formed over billions of years out of stardust.

This Gianforte sounds like a "young earther" meanwhile the reporter seems like it's his dream to be body slammed and get his glasses broken.

Just two asshats dorking around appears to be.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You mean the reporters from FOX News who rather supported the story of the Guardian reporter? Gianforte is innocent until proven guilty, but at a minimum he's an unprofessional hot-head I wouldn't vote for, and if he is convicted, I hope he serves time.

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Nah, it's just the bad guys with something to hide who hate the press.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-me...in-media-falls-to-all-time-low-in-2016-228168

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I have nothing to hide and I hate the press for the most part. It seems more and more common that the press starts with a conclusion and then writes a story to support it.

This particular reporter seemed to be trying to provoke the candidate.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I wonder how people feel about politicians... ;)
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2017 ---
    In this case it looks to me like Gianforte was acting like a snowflake, or perhaps just a flake, and could have handled the issue without violence. Shouldn't we expect our politicians to have enough self-control not to assault people even if provoked (which is not what the Fox News reporter stated to have occured)?

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Just like you don't know if they could have been cordial and he just flipped his lid. But hey, let's ignore the evidence and witnesses that say just that.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It sounded like the reporter hover shoved, not body slammed. I doubt this candidate picked the reporter up and threw him to the ground.
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2017 ---
    Sounds great.

23. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Nice deflect.

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

How is it deflecting? You made a suggestion and I agreed to follow your suggestion. You suggested the following....

"But hey, let's ignore the evidence and witnesses that say just that."

I think that is a great idea. No deflection.

25. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

[​IMG]