Montana GOP: Make Homosexuality Illegal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Sep 20, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

2. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

And perhaps sodomy ought to be an offense worth of death... just like our best friends Iran.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7290330.stm

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Sensationalist headline. It's a 12 year old policy that was a reaction to a state supreme court decision that no one has the balls to suggest they change. There seem to be no outspoken proponents of the platform point, and those who have had spoken up in similar situations (tea party making anti-gay statements) were rightfully outed. While it's deplorable they let this stay on their platform, it's not news.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That no one has the balls to remove the statement speaks volumes, don't you think?

Doesn't sound odd coming from you. But what is your point? Don't know if you're trying to seem cutting edge or something, but we've covered what Iran does to gay people many times in this forum.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Yes, but why are we just hearing about it now? That's why I questioned the article, especially with the title.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Because it's close to election time, that's why. And really, if they keep it in their platform, why shouldn't we take it seriously?

7. macfan881 macrumors 68020

With this and the crap GOP canadite in DC to people really think the GOP has a Chance in hell to win in November? This is just a sad disgrace the GOP has become.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Is he saying in a roundabout way that those who take that stand are more in line with the Tea Party?

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

does not change the fact that it is more proof of how piss poor our media is and yet another reason the media should not be trusted.

Things like this just shows that crap coming out of the media is 1/10 truth and 9/10 spin to make people angry.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The article is fairly clear. I don't see anything misleading in it. The title, yes, the article, absolutely not. What is it about the article that causes you to mistrust it?

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I'm not taking the topic (and title) seriously. I do take party sponsored bigotry seriously.

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

But isn't this Montana's GOP's platform this November?

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

As for the last 12 years.

My exception is to that the topic implies that this is a new policy. We shouldn't have to believe it's new to be outraged that someone would have this as their party policy. I've stated this many times.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You don't see why someone like me would have a problem with the party leaving this in their platform, even if they don't really "mean it"?

Really? Would you have a problem if their platform still claimed to want blacks sitting at the back of the bus and have separate drinking fountains, even if they really didn't "mean it"?

Sorry- if they aren't willing to remove this language, and it appears no one is going to bother, I don't see what choice anyone has but to take them at the word of their own platform.

And I'm sure we've heard about this before, just 12 years ago, most likely. It damn well should be brought to people's attention that something so heinous is still in their platform in 2010.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The title kills all credibility for me.
    I am tired of crap like that and media using titles like that shows how little faith we should have left in them.

They get as close as they can to lieing to piss people off. People will not read pass the title and they know it.

I read threw it and the title does not fit with the article. So yes the media needs to be flamed big time for this. While it is bad it got left on the platform that is not 1/2 as bad as the BS article title.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fine- flame them all you want. But the article is sound and valid. Whether you like it or not, this is what the GOP platform in Montana says. And it should be brought to people's attention. If they won't remove this from their platform, then I don't see why I should think they don't believe this.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm a die-hard Democrat, Fox news-hater, gay-rights supporting kind of guy. That being said, that headline is one of the worst I have seen in a while.
    yeah, the gop needs to fix their platform but Jesus H Christ, that's not even close to what the title says.

18. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Sorry, seriously. I didn't mean for you to respond. My question was meant to be sardonic.

19. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

This is exactly the reason I titled this thread as is....I thought about changing it to something less inflammatory, but the fact that the Montana GOP has made no effort in 12 years to remove it from their policy speaks volumes about the mindset of Republicans (at least in that state), and this is coming from someone who, while a registered independent, generally votes republican.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I see no reason not to take their platform seriously if they do not remove that language immediately.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

GOP has to have a bogeyman, you must fear something.....Saddam......Gays......Drugs.......etc. They have little else to run on these days.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They don't have to, fear itself is extremely effective and trumps all else. They've been doing this for decades now, and it works EVERY. ****ing. Time.

23. coolmacguy macrumors regular

Yes they do. They will likely take the House and pickup 5-6 in the Senate.

This is the downside with only having 2 parties. When people are upset with the current government people only have one other choice, and it's usually not any better.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

See your post is an example of why our media gets away with so much crap. They will push the limits of lieing in the head lines and spin the truth.

While I do not agree with the Montana GOP. I refuse to give any credit to an article that runs head lines like that. It kills all credibility of the article no matter if every thing in it sound and valid. I am so sick and tired of the media BS that I think that is quickly becoming one of the biggest issues for me since nothing seems to be in place to provide a check and balance for them. So it is time we as a people see a head line like that and refuse to give it any credit. It might force them to be more truthful..

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Or you could look past the headline and deal with the issue it presents. Just a thought.