Montana GOP Releases Antigay Platform

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jun 29, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/06/29/Montana_GOP_Releases_Anti-Gay_Platform/

Montana joins Texas. I find all this very alarming. Here we have major political party in another state seeking to criminalize gay people. I wonder how much further this will spread.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

2010 and they're still peddling this tripe. They should be absolutely ashamed. If ever there was an illustration of how perverse the intertwining of american religion and politics is this is it.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Certainly in the developed world I'm not aware of any other major political parties currently seeking to criminalize gay people.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, this certainly seems to imply that the GOP doesn't feel it can compete with regards to practical governance and concrete policy.

Seems as pathetic as it is spiteful.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good point.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

define acts.
    I ask because if it is like Texas and making it against the law to perform ceremonies that is one thing but if it includes things like 2 gay men having Sex or kissing that is an entire another matter.

At least Texas platform does not make the latter illegal

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, the Texas platform does. It explicitly states it's intention to criminalize homosexuality. You may want to read it again.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

hmm more example on why we need to change out politcal system in the US. People get hung on up a single topic on a party or anything yet agree with everything else and then disagree with everything on the other party but that one issues.

The current system does not allow for single issue parties to form.
    On top of all that people vote party base and do not vote based on the candidate. Vote based on the candidate not based on the party.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I think you're quite right.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Still, it should be interesting to see how this strategy plays out. I am not sure whether this kind of thing has the traction with voters the way it may have in more comfortable times. Sure, it will appeal to a certain small demographic, but it is quite possible that it will be the positions put forth on more practical,, impactful issues in the average voters' lives (eg Job Creation, taxes, healthcare) - that trump any ideological wedge issue.

This could very well blow up in the GOPs face. Even immigration reform, which at it's worst demonizes a group for leeching off the system and taking jobs - the persecution can be easily applied to an individual voters real fears and practical insecurities. I don't think the persecution of homosexuals has the same practical traction - there is just not that much practical impact on joe citizens' life by what gays choose to do in private.

Plus, as I stated earlier, it seems spiteful and implies where the GOPs priorities lie - which may turn off a lot of voters. After all, they may feel that "we have real problems, and the GOP is concentrating on this?! WTF!"

We'll see.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Conversely, many people will feel that criminalizing homosexuality has no impact on their lives either. This could be very dangerous. We've already had one poster in this forum say that because the GOP (in the Texas thread) was for everything else he wanted, he would vote for them anyway. That's what can be scary.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

On the flip side what is the other choice. Voting for some one that you do not agree with everything else.
    Many people view the stuff the Dems are doing as taking away a lot of their rights. So take your pick give up all the rights and allow gays to married or keep your rights and gays get criminalized.

Take your pick. you get one or the other not both.

I think all in all the gay part of both party is more to appeal to the tea parties but not something they will really push. The largest push will be to stop gay right to be married.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Bottom line- neither state's GOP would have done this if they thought they couldn't get away with it. It's disgusting and sad to me that people will throw others under the bus to get what they want, but I guess that's just human nature. What they should do is insist they take things like this out of the platform, but I guess that's just too much to ask.

And don't think for one second they won't push this. The fact that it's in their platforms is very serious, and indicates that they will push it. Do not underestimate them. That would be a serious mistake.

And as far as I can see, nothing the Democrats are doing comes anywhere close to this kind of thing. Are Democrats trying to make Christians into criminals? Sorry, but going to jail just for being what I am is NOT OK in any way, shape or form.

15. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm speechless. All that I can really say is that the GOP is absolutely retarded for making this part of their platform. Also, how could anyone not be bothered by this much less support this?

-Don

16. 184550 Guest

Using an awfully wide brush aren't we? Since when do we use two states to judge an entire party? I don't see the other 48 states or the RNC taking an even remotely close position on the matter.

17. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Sorry:rolleyes: I thought most people could infer that since this article refers to Montana and Texas, I too was referring to Montana and Texas.

Also, the majority of the GOP does support criminalization of homosexuality, or at least being out of the closet. Look at DADT.

-Don

18. 184550 Guest

Sorry, I wasn't aware that GOP was synonymous with Texas and Montana.

I thought that GOP meant this.

I wasn't aware that members of the military excused under DADT were then prosecuted and locked up for being gay. Do you have any statistics for how many military members excused under DADT were exclusively imprisoned for being gay?

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, I can't help wondering if the national party is pushing this as part of a plan to bring out the conservative vote in November.

Remember the recent past. Devoid of any real ideas, they came out with crap like anti-gay marriage amendments in one state after another, and their base got all revved up and turned out to vote.

This, obviously, is even worse.

Hey, maybe the fall Republican platform will include renaming our country the Uganda States of America. :mad:

20. 184550 Guest

While I agree that this policy push in Texas and Montana is absolutely ridiculous, it does not surprise me given the nature of the two states involved. I'll be worried only if this position trickles across to other, more moderate states. Until then, let these morons wallow in their ignorance.

21. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

These "many people" are morons. Nothing the Dems are pushing are "taking away a lot of their rights."

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Awesome. Can you send me the link to that poll so that I can win a bet at work?

Ah, you must be referring to the DADT policy Obama did away with 18 months ago. I mean, he did do away with it, right? Because only a Republican would give lip service to ending that, right?

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The time to be worried is now, not when it trickles into more moderate states.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

While true but another thing to remember is Dem name is pretty rough in Texas after some of the crap Obama pulled and Texas being at the receiving end of political punishment and some huge political favors being play by Obama to other states.
    The excuse to counter this that I heard was "LOOK LOOK they (GOP) did it too"

Just because they did it too does not make it right and really just services to make the problem worse.

NASA part was a huge example. Florida (Swing state) gets a 100 mil for it transition from the shuttle. Texas and Houston which has more jobs being loss from NASA and higher paying jobs to boot has to share 60 mil that the rest of the country gets to share for NASA and that is just one example that I know of off the top of my head because of where I live.

Dems in power and how they been treating the red states like Texas has been pretty bad and rightfully so those states and people are scared that the polical punishment will continue only allowing crap like what those 2 states GOP parties are pushing to get away with it.

It take you choice the many get screwed and might loose their jobs and lively hoods. The Dems are guilty of letting them get away with this crap by the political punishment.

Honestly I think both parties suck and we would be much better off if they both disappeared and we had 4-5 party running things because then at least you would not have to choose the lesser of 2 god awful evils.

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Bottom line- so you think jailing gay people is OK because of that? Because if you vote Republican in Texas, that's what you're supporting.