Montana Meth Project

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Dec 31, 2007.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Meth is such a huge problem in Illinois, I wish they would run those ads here.

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Very well done. It's a shame that more resources aren't dedicated to prevention and treatment rather than just incarceration of those caught in the web of addiction.

4. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Damn those are actually drug ads that seem to be effective, bravo!

6. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I've thought that the "I'm not going to be like that guy" ads are very well done. It sums up the ignorance that people seem go in with. Good work to those who made these ads. :cool:

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

We have those in Arizona, as meth is a big problem here in Phoenix.

Very graphic, and I hope they are effective. Agree completely with Swarm.

8. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

You should check out the website for the Montana Meth Project. Amazing ads. They have radio, poster, and television ads.

Also the HBO special that is with this project was done by Darren Aronofsky; just FYI.

9. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Sometimes... you just need to scare the S**t out of the kids to get them to listen.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

The pysch teachers and varying therapists I've heard speak or taken classes from say that meth is the one substance that they feel is a total lost cause for nearly addict. Not heroin. But meth. Meth is so much more difficult to stay off of and is so readily available.

What I like about these ads is their emphasis. The old old D.A.R.E. programs weren't as effective because they taught w/ the premise that dark, shadowy strangers would offer you drugs. Of course most folks would decline! But now the emphasis is shifting to what I feel is more realistic.

It's easy to get caught up and tell yourself that you're different, that you're only going to try it (whatever substance) the one time. That you'll be around friends. That your friends or x-people you know have done those drugs w/out problems. But we rarely see the future or the future consequences. And most programs haven't pointed at this, so though extremely graphic, I like the concept of the ad.

11. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I think there is about a 90% chance of relapse with Meth.

EDIT: Did anyone see the commercial (Montana Meth Project) of the boy who comes to live back home or perhaps from just being out (forgive my foggy memory I haven't watched these commercials in about 3 months) and the door is locked, so he starts pounding, kicking, and screaming at the door? I think that is so damn powerful since a few of my friends/loved ones have family members or close friends doing meth; their reactions and their parents reactions were exactly the same.

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I've seen the car crash one several times. I've always thought it was rather scary...and maybe a bit ridiculous. I always find myself making fun of it as an example of hyperbole. But then again, when I describe the ad, I throw in some hyperbole of my own, and just make it truly outlandish.

All in all, though, glad these ads are out there. Hopefully it will keep some kids from doing something utterly destructive and foolish. And maybe we'll even get to the day where folks in the Midwest don't need to sign stuff to buy Sudafed.

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Not just the midwest.

I had to hand over my drivers license and have all of my information entered into a database so I could by some sudafed (or really, the Walgreens brand of it).

14. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Yeah I thought this was implemented nation wide?

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Yeah, I used to work at a CVS in the northeast and we had to do the same thing. It really is a pain in the ass for both the customer and employee, especially since I don't see it helping the meth problem.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It really is a pain in the ass. Especially when you walk into the pharmacy feeling like crap, with a runny nose, coughing, sneezing and you can barely talk, and it's quite obvious that you're sick and you just want to get the hell out of there, get home, take some medicine and go to sleep and yet you're treated as if you were a criminal due to the medicine you're buying.

I still find it strange (and perhaps upsetting too) that I'm only 21 years old, and I hardly ever get carded for buying alcohol, yet I do for buying sudafed.

And it still hasn't helped. There's a huge meth problem in Missouri that hasn't gone away. The last set of statistics I saw had us at #1 for the number of meth labs found in a year, and if that wasn't bad enough, we more than doubled the #2 state in the number of labs

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I currently work at CVS. We used to have to log each purchase by hand, but the computer systems have been updated so that you can scan a barcode on the back of the digital driver's licenses which nearly everyone has these days... If it won't scan or it's still not digital then you have to type them in manually. I assume you had to do the paper thing...

Before it made little sense to me, but now with the new system it actually works in preventing purchases. The system logs purchases on an external database that stores access and it actually keeps track of daily purchases so they can avoid the people trying to come back at different times/different stores. The system will prohibit purchases if the quantity is too great for the daily/monthly limits so the system is much more effective now.

18. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

You're right, it's now federal law that you have to see a driver's license and get a signature when buying Sudafed, there's also a limit of a 30-day supply.

It's a ridiculous law, especially if you believe those ads. If you're willing to mug people to buy meth why wouldn't you be willing to simply steal it from your local CVS?

Personally, I think the ads are a little over-dramatic but they are effective. I just wish the federal government would take the same approach to drugs as the states. Meth is a much bigger problem than marijuana but so much is still spent on anti-marijuana propaganda, eradication, and prison for simple possession. Marijuana could be America's biggest cash crop, and an excellent source of tax revenue.

19. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

You can't steal it, it's a controlled substance held behind the counters (at least in New Jersey) just like cigarettes.

20. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

21. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

So you're saying a drug crazed addict couldn't jump a counter? I can jump a retail counter and I've never even done meth. (Note: I'm aware that isn't a logical analogy. Also, all my counter-jumping was done at my own place of employment.)

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, you keep all of the cash behind the counter locked up in the register. By your argument, since people can still steal it when it's there, we might as well keep all the cash sitting out on the shelf for anyone to walk by and take.

Keeping it behind the counter certainly won't prevent all thefts of it, but I'm sure it greatly reduces them

23. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Where did that come from?

24. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I saw "alcohol" and "marijuana" in the same paragraph... idk

25. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

No but robbing a front register is much less likely than swiping it off a shelf... and as a side note, if you tried to jump it at my store you would get severely hurt between the amount of crap in front of and behind the counter :p