Montana Takes on Citizens United

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, May 4, 2012.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Saw this while I was waiting to pick up someone at the airport, and I'm surprised we didn't catch this back in January. Props to Montana and its governor for having the testicular fortitude to take on this stupid ruling.

Yes, It's HuffPo, but in reading the article, there isn't really anything 'leaning' about it. Either way, read it for yourselves (especially before replying), and discuss; I'm definitely interested in hearing what our resident lawyers would have to say, and how they would argue it their side, if we were the Court.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/03/brian-schweitzer-montana-citizens-united_n_1475886.html

BL.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have to applaud this decision, corporations and corrupt politicians have led the way far too long.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

So, is this the "Corporations are people" thing, or something else?

There seems to be so many fringe organizations in the US...

5. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

This definitely is the "Corporations are people" thing. That's why I was rather surprised that out of all of the states, one of the most rural states would be leading this charge.

But then again, why other states haven't could also tell the tale of how much corporate influence there may be in federal and state governments...

BL.

6. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Looks like SCOTUS is going to take this up again; this time, also scrutinizing John Roberts' role in the decision. Whether a ruling is made by November may be a moot point, but at least this is getting revisited.

And you know this is something big when McCain is not happy with Roberts; There isn't much I agree with him on, but this one, I do.

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/18/155148102/citizens-united-gets-renewed-scrutiny

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Corporations exist only by state charter. If Montana were serious, it would revoke the coporate charter of any corporation that attempted to influence elections, or deny the right to operate in that state.

8. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Thin line.

If they pull the charter of any corporation there, out go their operations, including jobs. Political kill shot right there. Getting it taken care of federally would be the better way to go, which is having SCOTUS clean up the mess they made when they made this ruling.

BL.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Montana has provided us with plenty of odd entertainment. I recall a certain Harvard professor who took to living in a shack and mailing packages to former colleagues. The MT Rs have really shown the shown the spirit of big sky.

from The Missoulian:
    Political conventions often feature unique offerings... the bullet-“pocked” outhouse at the Montana GOP convention might have pushed the envelope ... labeled “Obama Presidential Library”, parked outside Missoula’s Hilton Garden Inn where the convention took place.

Nothing on the outhouse indicated who was responsible for it, although it made an appearance in the Memorial Day parade in Corvallis in Ravalli County.

The outhouse was painted to look as though it had been riddled by bullets.

Inside, a fake birth certificate for Barack Hussein Obama made reference to the disproven controversy over the president’s origins. It was stamped “Bull––.” A graffito advised “For a Good Time call 800-Michelle (crossed out), Hillary (crossed out) and Pelosi (circled in red.)”

State GOP Chairman Will Deschamps of Missoula said he didn’t know who’d brought the outhouse, but dismissed it as “a sideshow.”

“It’s not something I’m going to agonize over,” he said. “Some of that stuff is not real good taste. We do have a president of the United States, and we have to honor that.”

I guess we all have to blow off steam from time to time.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Justice Roberts must be getting nervous by now about Citizens United. He must be beginning to realize what a destructive force has been turned loose upon the Republic. The question is whether he has the courage to admit what a colossal mistake it was. We all make mistakes, but, the Supreme Court is loathe to admit it.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The real question is, can the FEC or FCC or another agency require prominent! first-run disclosure the same way that Pharma ads are required to list side effects? "Paid for and funded by etc, etc, etc ..." in a normal-rate voice, not shotgun-auction-speech? Does "freedom of speech" include anonymity?

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I sure do not want the issue of whether corporations have a right to privacy in front of the Roberts/Scalia/Thomas/Alito Court.

13. AhmedFaisal Guest

The SCOTUS admit they were wrong? Please, the SCOTUS and it particular it's current sitting members are about as arrogant and consumed with their belief in their own superiority as the Catholic Church with the Pope and his dogma of infallibility. Fat chance...

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The Supreme Court constantly admits it was wrong. It is probably the only part of Government that explains almost everything it does in writing.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, yeah, boardrooms vs. uteri, we know who comes out on top on that one.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well since it seems the court will not do anything then it is high time that the other departments (like the IRS) starts cracking down on these non Profits. They really need to go after them hard because you know they are political and they should not have the non profit tag to hid the people funding them.

You know that something is up when those giving those huge chunks of money complain about the media coming after them. if you want to spend big money then we have every right to know who is paying off our so called elected leaders.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Thing is, there is this ethos that "political speech" is a sacred right of "democracy" and it must be protected in order to keep our system functioning with at least a semblance of egalitarianism. Hence, non-profit organizations have certain rights, depending on their charter, in the area of campaigns and lobbying. They also have to have open books, to demonstrate their qualification for 501(c) status, but apparently confidentiality may be preserved in some cases (the 501(c)4 superPACs). If PACs were no longer allowed to have tax-exempt 501(c) status, the slightest hope for the possibility of transparency would be right out the window.

18. Lord Blackadder, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This SCOTUS, or rather its conservative members, leave me disgusted. This is either simple naïveté, fatuous narrow-mindedness or shockingly corrupt pandering towards corporate America.

Partisanship has reached such a rancorous pitch in this country that nobody has the slightest inclination to cooperate - from the voting public all the way up to politicians in the highest offices. The injection of billions more dollars into political campaigns will make them even more corrupt and manipulated.