Montevina is coming.. but heading to applestore to exchange my 15" for 17" hi res =D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, May 2, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ok, I made my decision.. I know everyday in the back of my mind it lingers that I want the 17" hi res mbp (since I've sold my mac pro might as well get the highest end mbp for best performance since I wont be upgrading until Nehalem). I dont really want the 2.6Ghz upgrade but my local Apple Store only has the 2.6Ghz and I do want that 17" hi res mbp.. I just love that screen real size and it will be come my desktop replacement.. also I remember running off the 17" 2.5Ghz mbp with my 23" acd and it felt a bit overall faster.. maybe due to higher clocked cpu/gpu as I do remember reading about the heatsink is superior on the 17"?? Also allowing higher voltage?

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I have no idea how you could sell such a machine. I love my MBP, but to have such a Mac Pro could never be replaced with a notebook! :)

3. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

You will hate the 17" soon enough.
    It is to big for a laptop.

4. go.mouse macrumors newbie

I love the 17" Hi-res screen. The screen quality is the main reason why I went with a 17" MBP. You get used to the size and weight. It's a beautiful yet powerful machine.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh..

Well, I wonder when Apple will introduce Quad-Cores MBP's. I need more processing power when it comes to rendering... Personally, I think I'll wait for the Quad-Core, high-res 17".

Imagine the possibilities... :D:D

6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I just got the hi res mbp and currently typing from it and could not be happier!! Wow the screen is so gorgeous and perfect, no dead/stuck pixels and is clear as day!! Now I'm contemplating on selling my 23" ACD and just using the 17" as a whole desktop replacement. :D:D:D

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Are you still going to be running it off your 23" ACD? If so what difference does it make if it is a 15" or a 17" hi def? Seems like a waste of money.

8. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

Amen to that.

I use to have a 17" MBP last year and it was a major pain to move it anywhere because it was too big and bulky.

I then sold it and bought the 15" MBP which is just about perfect. not too big but not too small.

9. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

17" hi res connected to the 23" ACD compliments perfectly for a 2nd screen next to it for much more space and is very nice.

I'm going to try out the 17" by itself without the 23" and if its big enough I will sell my 23" ACD and just use the 17" by itself as I dont really need the 23" ACD for color work.. man the 17" hi res screen looks so gorgeous.. makes the 23" ACD look crappier.

As for the size of the 17", I've always like the size of the 17" and I find the 15" pretty small. Also the sound on the 17" is so much louder and clearer! The 17" mbp it runs much cooler and it seems to be clocked higher than the 15" in the gpu side and does feel overall faster connected to the 23" ACD. Even the 2.5Ghz version of the 17" I had before was overall snappier than the 15" 2.5Ghz. Maybe higher clocked in core/gpu and I hear it has a bigger and more efficient heat sink as well.. the whole 17" feels alot faster/cooler.

Either way this is my laptop until quad core laptops are available, I've decided to skip montevina platform and wait for Nehalem. The quality of the lcd on the 17" hi res looks much better than that of the 15" and I'm not talking about resolution the quality of it.. I remember on the 15" led screen that I just returned when I drag the color white around.. I see some kind of cloudiness.. cant explain.. the 17" screen seems much more evenly lit all around and brighter/cleaner.

The 15" was a perfect compliment to the Mac Pro Beast that I had but now the 17" seems to be great as a desktop replacement/ notebook to carry around and I'm very happy with it. :p

10. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

If you do any real photo editing or graphics design or something that involves color work I would suggest you keep the 23" ACD. I'm sure the 17" Hi-Res MBP has a beautiful screen but it's still only a TN panel and that said it can't compare to an S-IPS panel for near perfect color production.

11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yes I already know the 17' hi res lcd screen is a TN panel and the 23" ACD is better in color rendition like if you compare the colors the 23" ACD looks a bit deeper/acurate but as for vividness the 17" led looks amazing.

I dont do any color intensive work so the 17" mbp seems to be working just fine. :D

12. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Yeah that's about how it is with me on my 15" MBP and Dell 2007wfp 20.1" S-IPS. Colors are more deeper/acurate and photos especially just look a lot better. For everything else my 15" LED screen is great but for any photo editing or something like that it's not very good. I'm thinking about getting one of the new NEC 24" H-IPS (upgrade to S-IPS tech) though since I love big LCD's with beautiful color production.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's what you think!

As with the heatsink it is a bit wider than the 15-inch, but the issue is the logic board is essentially the same as the 15-inch; as a result cooling performance should be around the same. As the video card is clocked a bit higher on the 17-inch, so it would defeat whatever gain from the slighty longer heatsink/heatpipes.

14. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Dude If Apple had a 19" wide, I'd buy it! 17" is amazing and I don't mind carrying it every day...Just put it in a backpack and off I go...

15. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yep I agree 17" mbp IMO is very light compared to many other 17" notebooks as well and you get higher clocked performance due to bigger logic board/heatsink, awesome speakers, awesome screen and its like a ultraportable desktop that you carry around. :)

16. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

For a midget it is. Or a person with tiny hands and short arms. :D

I did the opposite. The 15" just wasn't enough laptop for me. Everyone I know has a 17" and they love the screen size, and they don't understand how I can have gotten anything done on my 15" MBP. Now that I have the 17" hi res, I wondered that myself. I get much more performance, battery life, GFX processing, etc. for only a pound more.

Same here! If there was a 19" wide made Apple style with dual HDDs, and dual GFX cards (the specs in my sig) then I'd be on it. The only downside would be the price, which I know would start at $3799 or so.

p.s. I hope no one mentions anything about bag, since I have three bags marketed as only fitting 15" books in and I fit my 17" MBP with uber-fat sleeve into comfortably.

17. RSC10 macrumors member

RSC10

I couldn't disagree more strongly. The 17" MPB is a lean mean mobile machine. Go hit the weight room !