Monthly rates for phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gsusser, Sep 7, 2014.

1. gsusser macrumors regular

I have 2 questions.

1. Why are monthly rates the same for unsubsidized phones (phones bought at retail) as phones that are subsidized? I just got off the phone with AT&T about this and all they did was confuse me more.

2. Is there a discussion somewhere about best carriers? I'm debating whether to stay with AT&T or go to T-Mobile, which seems cheaper. I'm in the NYC area and get good coverage with T-Mobile (and AT&T).

2. BasicGreatGuy, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The price of the phone ( in and of itself) has nothing to do with the cost of the service provided nor should it, in my opinion.

A subsidized phone uses data the same way an unsubsidized phone does.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Cricket and GoPhone are ATT's branch that cater to bring your own device, unsubsidized.

4. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

What plan do you have? If you're not yet on Mobile Share you may pay the same price. AT&T is trying to get everyone to move to Mobile Share and then there is a discount of $25 per month for each line that has an unsubsidized phone ($15 unsubsidized vs. $40 subsidized).

If you know you can get good coverage in your area with T-Mobile I'd be all over it, maybe try their 7 day test drive to make sure it'll work for you.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

If you're on Mobile Share then it's cheaper to get the Next financing rather than do the subsidy on AT&T.

If you're in an area where both T-Mobile and AT&T are good then T-Mobile is the better choice since they're cheaper.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

It all depends on which service plan you are on. There are many VERY DIFFERENT plans offered. I went from $240 a month to $160 earlier this year with ATT. I also gained tethering which means I stopped paying for my ipad service. And stopped paying for wifi in most hotels.

Yes, many people are paying the same amount with a phone that was either purchased outright, or has long since been out of contract.

As to switching carriers,make sure your review ALL THE PLANS that each offer. And, price out your total phone service for 24 months. Data,Voice, Device, Upfront, etc.