Montreal soccer star regrets hiding homosexuality

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Nov 10, 2011.

1. leekohler, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is very close to me, as I just came out to my hockey league a few weeks ago. My guys asked me why I felt the need to do so. They gave me the usual thing that no one cares about personal lives and such. Well, if any of you have ever been in a hockey locker room, the conversation always heads in the direction of, "Dude, I went to this awesome strip club last night, have you been there? OMG- the chicks were incredible!"

I just said, "You guys talk about your personal lives all the time. I just want to be able to do the same, and most of all, I want you all to know me. I don't want to feel uncomfortable or weird around you, and I want to tell you about my life too. BTW- I love going to strip clubs and watching you lose all your money to ladies you will never have. So take me with you sometime. :)"

That got to them and made them laugh. It should not be so difficult to be in sports and be gay. My guys dealt with it just fine. They assured me that they love me and really, it was no big deal. It should be the same for the pros.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/11/10/david-testo-comes-out.html

And BTW- a hockey locker room is the most disgusting place on this planet- not sexy at all. Your first instinct is to do what needs to be done and get the hell out. The smell alone is horrible. :)

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yet, I've heard many stories from gay friends that the locker room is where magic happens many times...

I'll know this much, some people don't mind showing off at UNO's gym lockers. I haven't seen anything happen there but the stories are always lingering.

As per players, I think they don't come out during play since they fear the social and team backlash. I think they just feel safer once they are out of commission sort to speak.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It seems that the closet door is opening, ever so slowly, in pro sports. Even in that pitifully macho environment, people are slowly realizing the there have been, are, and will be gay players

Abysmally slow - but then look at the military.

I guess there is some hope that mindless and irrational fears and prejudices will wane over time.:D

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think there is. I mean, there is all kind of atrocity in the world, but if you just think back to what was socially acceptable just 60-70 years ago, things have gotten better, and to quote that gay teen support campaign that went on a year or two ago, things do get better.

No one should have to hide something so basic as their orientation... and I think it's great each time something like this happens and it's a non-event. It should be a non-event (that is, for everyone who isn't personally involved).

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Nicely said!:D

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, and it really is starting to happen. Let's hope the trend continues and we get players who are still in their respective games to come out.

7. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I don't know how popular this guy is in his sport, but I just don't see a star athlete from a major US sports team: MLB, NBA, or NFL, coming out of the closet anytime soon.

I wish that we were, but we are just not there as yet. Kuddos to Mr. Testo for making the decision to live all aspects of his life truthfully and openly.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

On the contrary, I think it's going to happen sooner, rather than later.