Moochers Against Welfare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 17, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think Krugman got this right. Thoughts?

Link

2. MorphingDragon, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I would say that a mixture of America's Non-Voting and Plurality voting system skews more votes than there should be towards conservatives. STV or MMP would help towards solving the party duality problem a little.

Welfare is an Innately good thing, it just has to be well thought out and tested.

3. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

So the GOP is using the smoke and mirrors of meaningless social issues, all of which shouldn't even be a problem in our modern world, to con poor god fearing folk into voting for them.

You notice as the economy numbers improve the GOP moved to these meaningless issues.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

God, I love Krugman. He's one of the sanest columnists in America.

I've been arguing for a long time that America is not really conservative, despite who they send to Washington. The Republican party is full of people who boast, "I hate entitlements!" and then follow it up with "Keep your goddam hands off my Social Security check!"

Personally, I think a large part of this group cognitive dissonance has to do with the rise of right wing media, which has created an incredibly powerful (for some) alternate reality which Steve Jobs, if he'd lived to be 500, could never have matched. In that alternate reality bubble, the only way you, the poor and middle class, will survive is by making filthy rich people even richer.

Unlike Krugman, I don't know how much religion or social conservatism still play into the mix. For example, if experts are to be believed, people are losing interest in organized religion, and support for gay marriage is at an all-time high.

I think what's happening here is that the right realizes that they are losing the culture war more and more every day. And they are getting more desperate, which is why their alternate reality just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Faced with a populace which has finally realized that gay marriages don't mean that two guys are going to come into your bed and ****, they've had to concoct newer, even scarier scenarios.

And from this we get the government hauling grandma off to a death panel, or union members driving Rolls Royces while the rest of us ride the bus, or Democrats raping the Constitution, or climate scientists being akin to Stephen King, i.e., inventing wild stories and getting rich off them.

I don't exactly know what to do about all this, but it'd be ironic if our "freedom of speech" -- as embodied in Fox News and Citizens United -- ends up being the very thing that destroys our country.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You pay into social security your entire working career so I think it should be struck from the list.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

When ever I read these articles I remember the Bob Dylan song. He's only a pawn in their game.

A bullet from the back of a bush took Medgar Evers' blood
    A finger fired the trigger to his name
    A handle hid out in the dark
    A hand set the spark
    Two eyes took the aim
    Behind a man's brain
    But he can't be blamed
    He's only a pawn in their game.

A South politician preaches to the poor white man
    "You got more than blacks, don't complain
    You're better than them, you been born with white skin" they explain
    And the Negro's name
    Is used it is plain
    For the politician's gain
    As he rises to fame
    And the poor white remains
    On the caboose of the train
    But it ain't him to blame

The deputy sheriffs, the soldiers, the governors get paid
    And the marshals and cops get the same
    But the poor white man's used in the hands of them all like a tool
    He's taught in his school
    From the start by the rule
    That the laws are with him
    To protect his white skin
    To keep up his hate
    So he never thinks straight
    'Bout the shape that he's in

From the powerty shacks, he looks from the cracks to the tracks
    And the hoof beats pound in his brain
    And he's taught how to walk in a pack
    Shoot in the back
    With his fist in a clinch
    To hang and to lynch
    To hide 'neath the hood
    To kill with no pain
    Like a dog on a chain
    He ain't got no name

Today, Medgar Evers was buried from the bullet he caught
    They lowered him down as a king
    But when the shadowy sun sets on the one
    That fired the gun
    He'll see by his grave
    On the stone that remains
    Carved next to his name
    His epitaph plain:
    Only a pawn in their game.

It had a profound impact on me in the 60's and still rings true today with the Teaparty.