Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mophie today announced the launch of a new series of iPhone-exclusive Powerstation models, which are equipped with a Lightning port to allow them to be recharged using a Lightning cable rather than a traditional micro-USB cable.

With the ability to charge over Lightning, customers who purchase one of the new Lightning-equipped Mophie Powerstations will be able to charge their iPhones and their portable charger using the same cable.

mophiepowerstationxlplus-800x575.jpg

Mophie is offering several new Powerstation options, with varying battery capacities and price points:

[*]Powerstation Plus ($79.95) - 6040mAh with built-in Lightning connector and a single USB port. Available in heather gray, slate, and black.
[*]Powerstation Plus XL ($99.95) - 10,000mAh with built-in Lightning connector and a single USB port. Available in heather gray, slate, black, and deep blue. Qi wireless charging is included, allowing the Powerstation Plus XL to be recharged via a Qi-based wireless charger.
[*]Powerstation ($59.95) - 6,040mAh with two USB ports for charging two devices at once. Available in indigo blue and millennial pink.
[*]Powerstation XXL ($99.95) - 20,200mAh with three USB ports for charging three devices at once. Available in black.

The Powerstation and Powerstation XXL, designed for use with iPhone, iPad, and AirPods, offer up an extra 20 and 70 hours of iPhone battery life, respectively, and come in an aluminum design.

The Powerstation Plus and Powerstation Plus XL offer built-in Lightning connectors, alleviating the need to supply your own Lightning cable for charging purposes. Both of these models offer a fabric-covered design with fabric over the top and bottom plates and can provide up to 34 hours of extra battery.

All of the Powerstation options include an LED power indicator to provide details on charging status and battery life, along with Priority Charging capabilities that send power to your device before recharging the Powerstation when it's plugged in.

The new line of Mophie Powerstations are available exclusively from Apple retail stores, the Apple online store, and the Mophie website.

Article Link: Mophie Announces New Apple-Exclusive Powerstation Portable Chargers With Lightning Ports

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ugh, seriously, Lightning needs to stop being a thing. Apple really needs to replace it with USB-C already.

Lightning's here for the next decade at least. Enterprise is buying iPhones in spades. People are keeping iPhones for much longer than the thirty pin models. You're stuck with it!

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Pretty cool that you can wirelessly recharge these.

From Mophie's website: "You can also wirelessly recharge the powerstation plus XL portable battery from any mophie wireless charging pad or any Qi-compatible charger. Just place the powerstation plus XL portable battery on the charging pad as shown in the quick-start guide."

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I just bought a 10000mAh battery with built in Lighting, Micro USB and USB C cables that also has built in AC prongs for charging for less then half of this price. That MFi certification must cost a fortune!

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I’ve had a 20,000 mAh power bank that I purchased on Amazon for over a year now. It was only around $25. I use it constantly, and it’s been great for camping trips as well.

I love that it has USB inputs, so you’re able to charge iOS devices or any device that charges using USB. With the mophie Charger, you would only be able to charge devices that have lightning ports.

I bought another 20,000 mAh charger for my mom as well, and she loves it.

Reactions: macintoshmac

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I’ve been waiting for lightening charging for years. Very exciting.

For me, I don’t mind the Mophie premium. I like the design, workcraft, and knowledge these are (hopefully safe batteries.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Generally a nice idea, but usb c would’ve been better.
It’s annoying that the slower lightning standard gets dragged along so long..

powerboy123

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2015
These guys are so HIGH!!.. i think there is a pot dispensary around the corner from them.. so that explains the pricing..

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
It makes my eyes water. Got a 20,100 mAh USB C Anker brick for $60 from Amazon a few weeks back. You can get a 10,000 mAh Anker for $19. Definitely pricey.

Always someone that posts this whenever there is a product with built in lightning. No **** that you can get a random power bank cheaper, especially a noname one with questionable battery quality, but this includes the convenience of not needing a mini USB cable along with a lightning cable.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Always someone that posts this whenever there is a product with built in lightning. No **** that you can get a random power bank cheaper, especially a noname one with questionable battery quality, but this includes the convenience of not needing a mini USB cable along with a lightning cable.

$60 and half the capacity for that convenience ? Anker is hardly no name. It’s a huge premium.

Last edited:

CC07

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
So if you can recharge this wirelessly, does that mean you can charge your iPhone X wirelessley by placing on top of this? (Even though there is a cable provided) just curious.

skys15

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
Nice! Although would rather have usb-c with much faster charging through power delivery 2.0 or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.