Mophie Juice Pack Plus/Helium - question…

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RWil85, May 6, 2014.

1. RWil85 macrumors 6502

To anyone who has had some experience with either or both…

I picked myself up a JPP bc Mophie is a reputable company and I need to extra juice and like the idea of their dock and basically never having to plug in all day.

I was able to get two silver Heliums at a good price - maybe for brother/wife/whoever.

Does anyone have any prolonged experience with either of these and could comment on how they hold up over time? I know the battery will degrade - any battery would - but, how does the case itself hold up to wear and tear?

Any other thoughts/comments are welcomed also (do you think it was worth it?, etc)

Thanks!

2. stcizzle macrumors regular

In general, these cases work really well and provide good drop protection providing you have a screen protector. I've had the plus, air, and Heliums for the 4s, 5 and 5s. In general, with my experience with all 3 cases, they average 10-15% lower charges than advertised; the plus gets 105-110%, the air gets 85-95% and the Heliums get 65-75% with light use. Perhaps with no use in airplane mode they may get their full advertised charge but then that would defeat the purpose of the cases. I really didn't mind though as I needed the extra juice either way and their design IMO is superior to all the competitors which makes the prices worth it to me. Also, they resell really well on ebay. I think I got at least 50-60% of my money back when I sold them all.

They say that it will last as much as 500 cycles before the battery starts to deteriorate, but I've never made it that far on any of them as I charge the phone and case simultaneously at home and in the car , so I usually only needed about 50-75% charges every other day if I forgot to charge it at night.

As far as durability goes, from normal use, they hold up very well!!! They feel awesome and add just enough grip but not too much. I hate cases that are that plasticy material that almost feels like it's coated in adhesive!!! Mophie definitely nails the finish perfectly. The only thing that's really annoying to me was if u drop it on pavement and scratch it pretty deep, the super smooth finish becomes really rough and uncomfortable in the hand, but that's to be expected I guess. It did protect my phones perfectly with several pavement drops. With all my other non battery cases they seem to not scratch as deep but I'm assuming it's the weight that makes it hit harder and not slide as much to deflect the drop. However I was able to smooth the dings and scratches down and make it much smoother.

One other problem a lot of other people had was that if u happen to drop it right on the bottom where the charging port is, sometimes it can cause the port to loosen a bit and make the case more temperamental when charging though I never experienced this.

But overall, I love these things. There's nothing better than having extra charge when u need it and having a battery case that's not hideous like other designs I've seen.

One recommendation, though, the air and plus have really similar dimensions which really aren't even that bigger than the Heliums, so if u can trade up the Heliums, I def would cuz 100% is way better than 75 if u like ur brightness up and are on ur phone a lot

Hope this helps.

3. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

stcizzle, thanks for the detailed info - exactly what I was looking for - much appreciated. I don't mind spending the $100+ on the case - as I like pretty much everything it does - just want to make sure the thing lasts.

Your point on upgrading from Heliums -> Air/Plus is understood; however, I was able to get the Heliums for $40 each through Amazon with free shipping the other day. Couldn't pass it up.

If some others could chime in also - that'd be great. Thanks again.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I've been using a Mophie for my iPhone 5s, I fully drain it almost every day. I really can't complain about it, at all. I keep a second one in my car, switching them out each day. On rare occasions I've had to use both Mophies plus the factory battery. If you use your iPhone for everything, it is great to have the extra juice. Mine are the air and I'm very satisfied. Unfortunately, I paid retail.

5. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

Southern dad, thank for the reply...

It seems as though most people like what the mophies do - i guess I'm just concerned/curious as to what's to come down the line - chipping, peeling, fading, connector becoming loose, etc - just want to see if anyone could chime in who has had it for a while how it has stood up to daily use, occasional drops, etc.

Thanks!

6. gamecocksown macrumors newbie

Are you saying you keep the Mophie battery on all day instead of using your phones battery?

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Usually, I use the iPhone battery until the 20% warning, then flip the switch on the Mophie. A lot depends on what I'm doing or where I'll be. I'll switch Mophies once the first is exhausted. Back in my BlackBerry days, I carried an extra battery and just swapped out.