More Abortion Violence...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Sep 11, 2009.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

This time it was a pro-lifer gunned down. Be it bombs at clinics or guns on the street, does anybody really think that violence against the opposition will do anything to help your cause? It's like smushing an ant and thinking that you've solved the infestation (can you tell what is plaguing the trees in my yard?).

As an aside, I have to ask how effective did he think it was to protest in front of a HS? I stand by his right to do so, but unless that HS has some sort of freakishly high abortion rate I just think he could have made much better use of his time standing pretty much anywhere else.

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

So for once it goes the other way... :rolleyes:

"Pro-lifers murdering people. LoL" - Bill Hicks

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You keeping score? that makes it OK? :confused:

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I meant in general.

The bill hicks quote shows the irony of the Pro-Life movement having people who advocate the death of those they deem unworthy of the gift. Im not trying to be "happy" with the death of anyone.

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Simply tragic. I wonder if the crime will be tried as a hate-crime or terrorism?

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just wondering though- looking at the linked article, it appears there was a second homicide that might be related. Do we know for sure that the reason for the murder was that the guy was pro-life? Or was it random?

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

And I suppose the BIGGER question, is whether or not it matters. If he was killed because he's pro-life does the murderer deserve a stiffer penalty than if the murder was 100% random?

No.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, he does.

9. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Nice catch - I had to reread the article a couple of times to see that. Or maybe they hadn't linked to it yet. At least, that's what I'm going to claim.

As for whether the penalty should be any harsher - if it turns out the murder was politically motivated, I'd say hang 'em high. No different than Dr. What'sHisFace's shooter. I wouldn't call it a hate crime though (different opinions should never be a protected class of any type, regardless of what DC would have you believe) - just terrorism.

I am curious to know why fivepoint says no. I certainly take issue with many interpretations of hate crime legislation - that is, I think that there are too many instances where people see hate crime where there was none, just a difference of <blank> between the kill and victim. But, terrorism is terrorism is terrorism.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It was an update to the article. They just haven't said what the motive is yet. It would be really weird if the picked a pro-choice person as their second victim.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Now the pro choicers are going crazy? Effed up.

14. Shivetya macrumors 65816

A sane society does not suffer murderers and rapist. An insane one thinks it put them back in society after locking them up for a few years

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler