More airlines raise fares to grab tax savings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Jul 25, 2011.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

http://www.ajc.com/business/more-airlines-raise-fares-1043930.html

Wow. You read something like this after all the discussion about how lower taxes means lower prices for consumers which means more money for everyone. I guess it just doesn't always work out that way. Who knew??

I did.

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and in the meantime airport construction work funded by those taxes have come to a halt

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I guess the lack of taxes really helped with job creation for airlines, didn't it?

4. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Republicans disgust a conservative like me (I like Ike)

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm waiting for all our Republican and Tea Party fans to come in and explain why lower taxes didn't result in lower prices here. Either that or to show where the airlines are now hiring a lot more people due to lower taxes.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am of the opinion that if they raised the rates then when the FCC gets it power back they must hand over the difference. It would of been one thing if they passed the saving on but since they raised the rates I feel they should all have to pay up.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That would be an interesting case study actually. I'm curious to see how the balance of less revenue turned into jobs, or not.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Don't you mean the FAA? But yeah I agree with you. Of course when the taxes come back the airlines won't lower their prices they will just add the taxes back onto the now higher prices. And probably claim that they where already planning to raise fares so they still passed the tax savings onto the consumer.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

they can try that argument but it is a load of crap. It lined up directly with it FAA losing the power to collect the tax. Many of them went into effect at midnight.

It was a load of crap and they know it. Which is why most of the airlines need to be coughing up some money when the FAA gets its power back.

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

you are right, but what can people do? nothing.

11. Huntn, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The airlines were heavily taxed. The Aviation Trust Fund (a result of those taxes) has built new control towers and terminals all across the country.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The republicans are demanding that they be able to strip FAA workers already well established collective bargaining rights. Thats why the FAA didn't get the renewal they needed in time. My guess is they won't be back to collect that tax (or somehow that power will be stripped) for a while given the social engineering still ongoing in the country.

:mad:

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

****ing power grab, the usual GOP modus operandi.

14. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

This is exactly what I was hoping for...a response about how what the airlines did does not go against everything we are told about how lower costs for a company means better prices for customers and jobs for workers, etc.

I know that these taxes aren't a cost really for the airline, but to RAISE your prices to cover the cost the consumer would have been paying to someone else is just slimy.