More and more 5s issues are now appearing??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rich32gb5s, Oct 19, 2013.

1. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

As more customers get their phones, the more I hear of problems. Im getting a bit concerned that the 5s is going to be a fault riddler. Mine is still pre-delivery but seriously considering returning it to save the hassle and just keep using my flawless 4s.

How does this stat compare with the 5 when it was launched last year?

2. nitromac macrumors 6502

People complained about how easily the slate black coating scratched with the 5.

People will complain about anything if they can. You have to realize that there is a higher probability of someone complaining than there is of someone stating how content and happy they are with their new purchase.

Sure, I'm not a fan of the misaligned accelerometer. But that can be fixed with software (put a calibration tool in settings or something). I'm not a fan of the slight interlacing on my new 5S's screen. But it's only noticeable when I remember it's there or when the phone is right up to my face. And that's been an issue since the iPhone 4. I'm not a fan of the battery life either but that's iOS7 and I'm hoping some serious optimization will be coming out.

But I'm not really complaining about these issues because most of them can and probably will be fixed. If not, fine. I very much enjoy 99% of my new phone and am happy with upgrading from my 4S.

There are people that are picky and expect perfection from their purchase, and at the price I can't really blame them. I understand their position, but personally do not care as much as they do.

3. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

What is this screen interlacing i keep reading about?

4. nitromac macrumors 6502

I didn't have it on my 4S. It's basically an issue where you can sometimes notice vertical bars (single pixel width) going across your screen (vertical if you're holding the phone upright). They are usually alternating between darker/lighter shades of the color they display. I think it has to do with the refresh rate of the display.

Looks sort of like this but much, much, much less excessive.
    [​IMG]

I notice it only on blue or gray colors. It doesn't seem to interlace motion though so it's not like the interlacing you get in a camcorder or something.

5. serega macrumors regular

I'm happy with my space gray 5S. No problems.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

7. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I have the new 5S and absolutely love it. My ONLY complaint is that many of the apps crash A LOT. For no apparent reason. It's annoying as all hell. I'm hoping it's fixed via app (or maybe iOS?) updates because, otherwise, I love the phone and have no plans on getting rid of it.

8. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

If you read this forum it will all seem doom and gloom. Remember, people come here to vent about problems and ask for help. Not to say "hey, got my phone, all is well".

The percentage of people with problems is small. Sure, there are some more serious but general problems like the blue screen and accelerometer. But those can be fixed by updates.

Remember, nothing is perfect.

9. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

:eek:
    Is this software related? I mean if it's not that noticeable I can possibly overlook it. I also hope mine comes in with a fixed gyro.

10. rich32gb5s thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for this..good point!

----------

Some wise words here ...thank you

Software issues don't bother me as I know apple will be working on these and normally address them. You are right though...seems to be a lot of doom and gloom on here and can so easily get pulled in. Also having read the issues im in danger of looking for them where as before I may not even notice.
    Mine arrives mid week so hopefully all is ok.

My 4s is amazing and everything about it has been issue free, so the 5s quality really has a lot to live up to. I could easily keep the 4s but feel its time to upgrade so I can enjoy the iphone even more. The IOS7 however has unfortunately slowed my 4s down. This has been a contributor to an upgrade. Always the way with ever more demanding OS software.

11. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

only thing that has bothered me is that it sometimes takes 3-4 tries to get it to unlock with touch id

12. gCloud macrumors 6502a

I have had every iphone since the 3G, the 4S has been the best quality iphone so far IMO. The only criticism is that it had worse battery life than the 4.

13. DarkSel macrumors regular

I've noticed this too. It happens when my fingers are sweaty/wet/greasy primarily.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people with excessively sweaty fingers :D

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

I think whether the 5s is the worst phone yet purely depends on your usage. For me, antennagate was never an issue. For me, the gyroscope issues definitely are. It's the very first iPhone issue that has directly affected me. Well, aside from the screen-not-staying-off-face-dialing issues of the iPhone 4...

15. jamesgf macrumors member

I just picked up a silver 32 gb today and so far I have had no issues. My gyro is right on (check the gyro thread for details), no interlacing and so far touchID has worked every time. Compared to my 4s, the 5s screen is a bit cooler in color temp. Can't comment on battery life as I have been messing with it all day. My build date is week 39 (October), factory F2.

16. nitromac, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

nitromac macrumors 6502

The change in performance/fluidity from the 4S to the 5S is pretty significant. I don't get any of the delay that I got on my 4S (ie when switching to tab view mode in safari -- it's fairly delayed and laggy on the 4S). I can't say it's as fast as iOS6 but that is iOS7's fault.

I haven't experienced issues with the accelerometer miscalibration. I don't play much tilt games but the ones I have played -- I don't experience any issues with them whatsoever.

It does seem like production-wise the 5S is a little more hit-or-miss than before. I don't remember hearing much about the internal components of the 5/4S having issues.

If you end up getting a phone with some flaw and it ends up being an actual issue for you -- go ahead and replace it. You know apple's good with that. ;)

17. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty dang happy with my 5S. (32gb white AT&T)

Don't have any issues to speak of.

The apps crashing always happens within the first few weeks of a new OS and/hardware release. It gets worked out.

The TouchID sensor did take some getting used to though. Have to remember to cover most the capacitive ring and it works 99.9%. Cover only part, and it starts working 80% or so, which isn't good enough.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why assume problems versus relying on first hand experience?

You need to understand that any discussion forum site on any topic skews things as people post because they have problems. If you hit any site for any product you'll find people posting about all sorts of problems. That doesn't mean that you'll encounter any or all of those problems.

It's your call to make but I'd recommend actually using the product and evaluating it based on first hand experience.

19. sabotage79 macrumors newbie

Wow. I've had my phone for 3 weeks and it has only failed me once.

20. Rich74 macrumors regular

Turn it off then?

21. rich32gb5s thread starter macrumors regular

I guess if you buy a phone for only $99 in the states with subsidy from a carrier then it doesnt feel like a high risk but if you are like me who doesnt buy into a 24 month contract but wants an iphone but costing £630 straight up you will be covering all considerations for sure!

22. TWD98j macrumors regular

Couldn't have said it better myself. In addition to the original iPhone, I have had every "S" cycle iPhone and I have NEVER experienced the amount of crashing with any of those that I do with my 5S.

Biggest culprits are Safari and Twitter.

23. kikima macrumors member

My main gripe is that music playing in the background skips, and sometimes restarts to the beginning of the song, when I re-enter the phone through the lock screen. Doesn't matter if it's with TouchID or just my passcode, 9 times out of 10 the song skips or starts over. This is just with the built-in music app, not with Pandora or Spotify.

24. rich32gb5s thread starter macrumors regular

Ive decided that im going to return my 5s. Ill get back on in a couple of months as I think Apple might perfect the phone a little and iron out and improve any hardware issues. Im in no hurry..its just a phone but an expensive one here in UK ( £630 ). I don't know why I jumped in so soon anyway. Its not like me. I usually wait a while.

25. Aidy06 macrumors regular

What hardware issues are you referring to?