More and more apps are going to go from Paid to Freemium b/c of Family Share

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by pinkoos, Sep 19, 2014.

1. pinkoos macrumors 6502

I read this somewhere but can't find the source now, but it makes sense.

Developers are being asked by Apple to opt-in to Family Share (b/c that looks good for Apple to have as many apps as possible available in Family Share).

But, this screws developers b/c a Family can just pay once for an app, but then up to 6 people can actually use it.

So, developers are going to offer apps for free but build in in-app purchases (IAPs) to get all the "features." And, as was mentioned in the Family Share post yesterday, IAPs are not covered by Family Share. So, if you want the Pro features of 1Password, for example, for all members of your Family, you're going to have to pony up the cash for each Family member separately.

2. vipuser macrumors newbie

I think that the Family Sharing has no influence on developers revenues, because within a family all just used one for all Apple ID for purchases on the App Store / iTunes. And just bought once for all family members.

3. caesarp macrumors 6502a

What family would pay for the same app twice? You don't need family sharing to avoid that. My wife, myself and my 8 year old son all use the same iTunes/app store ID (but different Icloud IDs) for our devices (have for years -- nothing new). Presto, we all have access to the same content we purchase. And, due to enabling restrictions on my son's device, we can decide what my son gets to download (and we disabled inapp purchases).

Family share is entirely unnecessary.

4. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I concur with vipuser and ceaserp. Using Family Share is no different from sharing an iTunes account, which most families do - that's why Apple introduced Family Sharing.

5. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Each person is supposed to have their own account.

6. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Why? There is no law that requires that. That only matters for iCloud accounts, not for iTunes/app purchases. My 8 year old son doesn't need his own account (nor does he have a credit card) -- so your statement makes no sense.

Maybe Apple would prefer it that way, but since the only way to enforce that would be to allow only one device per iTunes account, it ain't gonna happen. My way for families has worked for years and Apple never said a thing. Family Sharing is essentially the same thing anyway, but for users who don't know how to set it up like I did. It does it automatically.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Nope, Apple has provided the info in their support documents for years about sharing an iTunes account for purchasing apps (as stated, before the Family thing was introduced) - but it is necessary to have separate iCloudID's for things like iMessage, FaceTime, etc.